Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Slicing up the elephant

Fifty weeks of training. Ack, that sounds like the Sentence of Doom. Far too much to contemplate! I mean, we're talking about a tired, rapidly-aging, not-so-spry, way-too-heavy old lady here! How do I break it down into manageable bites?

One resource that's been very helpful so far has been the gold standard of ironman training texts, Going Long by Joe Friel and Gordon Byrn, that I've already quoted.

(Excuse me while I think out loud and make notes to myself on my blog).

Here are the punctuation points for my Bigass Year of Training, so far:
Now the challenge will be setting the priorities and objectives for each macro cycle and fine-tuning it for each discipline (swimming, biking, and running) within each cycle.

That's how I'll cut apart the elephant into easily-consumed tasty bite-sized morsels. Preferably thin marinated strips roasted on skewers with a piquant Thai peanut sauce, please.



Note to self: Yurtie recommends that I do another Olympic or half IM in August/September. Think about Steelhead (~August 5), Timberman (~Aug 19), or Diamondman (~Sept 11).

12 comments:

Holly said...

Sounds like a good plan Nancy!

Lynne said...

Now just dive in?!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Damn, that's organized. Now I need to buy going long...

Nancy Toby said...

It's worth it. Perhaps the only tri-related book I've seen that I'll say that about, so far...!

*jeanne* said...

Goofy...the Challenge...
oh, me, oh, my...

Me, too.

Did we really sign up for this, Nancy?

:) said...

Sounds like a plan to me!

MB said...

I'm looking at the Ocean Drive marathon in March, too. Also, I ordered "Going Long". Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Downhillnut said...

Looks like the perfect recipe for success!

warren said...

Looks ambitious. Looks like fun!

Good luck!

Nancy Toby said...

WAIT until you see the new utility room. I'm so proud.

Ellie Hamilton said...

Oh, my.... ~sigh~

My IMFL training plan looks like... "keep moving some and throw in swims, bikes and runs eventually approaching race distance."

Oh, my.... ~sigh~

Nancy Toby said...

That worked GREAT for you for Chesapeakeman, Ellie! It just wouldn't work for me, since I'm obsessed with planning and recordkeeping. :-) Plus I want to be sure that I get in some long swims and long runs with plenty of time to spare over the spring and summer so I don't try to crowd them in all at once near the IM.