Monday, October 31, 2005

November goals

Here's what I'm planning to accomplish this month. November will include a trip to New York City for a destination marathon, plus a nine-day vacation with my girls shortly afterwards when I won't be getting in many workouts. The beginning of the month I'm tapering for the marathon, and then the time just after the marathon is a step-back recovery time for me.

This month I'm adding a weight loss goal for the first time. I don't like specifying it in pounds, because that's not something that's directly under my control - only what I put in my mouth is under my control, and how my body (and the scale) responds is up to physiology. However, for the sake of simplicity in this blog I'll just call it a conservative number. Mostly this is a reminder to myself that I need to pay strict, particular attention to changing my body composition during these times when training volume is light. Or, to put it another way, I'm going to pay attention now to creating good eating habits in the off-season.

* Swim: 4000 meters.
* Bike: 50 miles.
* Run and walk: 40 miles (including 26.2 miles in the marathon).
* Crunches: 1000.
* Weight loss: 4.0 pounds.
* Events:

5 comments:

William said...

Hey, thats a great article regarding off season planning.
I also blogged about that article yeaterday, read it here.

I've started thinking that I might focus on some heavy weight lifting to build strength and focus less on endurance for now. The weather/sun prevents long days in the saddle now.

Good luck at NYCM!!! You can do it!

Ellie Hamilton said...

Yeah, I checked out that article too. And bookmarked it. And the homepage. And subscribed to the newsletter.

Your planning is so ambitious!! I might take mine up the same way, grading myself (as in October Summary)but then I'd look like I copied...

Nancy Toby said...

Ellie -

That's what blogs are FOR! To share information and ideas!! Whatever works in your training - do it!!

And William - sorry I didn't give you proper credit for bringing that article to my attention! It's a good one!

Holly said...

Sounds like a heck of a month! I hope your hubby can get you signed up for IMFL and I hope you have a great time at NYC Marathon and on vacation with your girls!

GO NANCY GO!

William said...

No appology needed Nancy. We are all here to share. I figured you were subscribed to that feed like I am.