Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Prepared for liftoff!

I just finished my last short (2 miles) easy run in preparation for the Baltimore Marathon on Saturday. I may do a short bout on the bike trainer and a swim, and maybe a walk to and from the expo, but that's it for exercise before the Big Event. I'm good at tapering!!

I'm still concerned about the effects of my lack of long-long endurance training runs, but in the last 90 days I've completed:

Run/walk: 232 miles (18 miles/week)
Bike: 341 miles (27 miles/week)
Swim: 21,122 meters (1643 meters or 1.0 miles/week)
Crunches: 3310 (257/week)
Weight change: -4.0 pounds

I think that should do the job to get me around the course - the only questions are how fast?, and how much will it hurt? One thing I feel quite good about now - checking back in my records - is that it's substantially more (93 miles running, 100+ miles biking) than I completed in the 90 days before Eagleman last June. I guess it shows me that I can train a little harder and much more consistently than I thought back then, which again makes me more confident about the possibility of Ironman Florida next year.

I also used my last short run for a very important pre-race-day final gear check. I wore exactly what I plan to wear in the race, so that I could fine-tune it and see if there were any problems. Never, never anything new on race day!!

Fairly new shoes: Feel pretty good (same Asics Gel Evolution model that I normally wear, only with fewer miles and more cushion left). Stretchy tri laces adjusted; realized that I needed to re-lace them through the uppermost holes to keep my foot securely in place on downhills.
Shirt good: technical Calgary Roadrunners short-sleeved shirt that Dianne gave me
Shorts good: My old standby RRS Matchmates.
Underwear good: Coolmax on top & bottom
New visor that I got on eBay: good.
Ironman socks: good.
Just wash my clothes, add my waistpack, gel flask filled with my home brew, bandana and a heart rate monitor (and lube up) and I'm good to go!

7 comments:

TriZilla said...

May your feet have wings, lady. I can't wait to read that race report. When things get tough, just think about what you want to be able to write. :)

:) said...

Yes...don't forget the lube... :)

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Great stats!! Good luck for Saturday! Will your daughters be watching you on the course? You must be a great inspiration for them :-)

Nancy Toby said...

Thanks very much! No, plods, my girls stay home with Dad during these events. They're not quite ready for these crowds, I think!

Holly said...

You will do great Nancy!!! You may not have gotten all the long miles in but you have been consistant in at least getting workouts in!

WIth 4 less pounds you will be flying over the hills of Baltimore! Way to go!

Lynne said...

I am SO impressed. Go Go Go!!! I'll be rooting for you all the way!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

You're gonna do great! The most important thing is your aerobic base, and you've got that. Just plan on going out there and enjoying it.