Friday, May 12, 2006

Pre-race nerves

Gosh, I thought this year I'd finally be getting over this stuff, but here they are again. Those old, familiar, pre-race anxieties.

That old weather obsession has returned. Just for the record, here's the extended forecast for race day, which I know is pretty meaningless at this point but I HAD TO LOOK.
Sunday 5/21:
Scattered Showers
High Low
75°F 54°F
24°C 12°C

At least this year I'm confident I can make it around the course (barring any bike crashes). But those "what-ifs" are still popping into my head.
  • What if I'm slow? Uh, nothing new there.
  • What if it hurts? Um, it will always hurt unless you're slacking.
  • What if I give up and stop trying in the run? See above.
  • What if I forget something? That's what pre-race checklists are for, dummy.

I know it sounds stupid. I'm just observing and reporting, not analyzing. I'm trying to let the crazy thoughts just flow through my head, take care of business item by item, and just let them flow away.

Today's business is giving Buttercup a good cleaning and lube, swapping out her front tire for a new one, and making sure that she's ready to go for her 65-mile test ride tomorrow and my gear and food and drink is all prepared and packed for the morning.

3 comments:

Cliff said...

As much as I hate the pre race nerves, i also like the feeling. The though to fspending all this time, days, weeks, hours and put it all on one day is so attractive.

Anonymous said...

Pre-race nerves just tell you that you care about what your going to do.
It's your energy rising for the event :)
That's a good thing!
Other wise why bother :)
Talk about nerves, I get sick to my stomach driving to inline speed practice... LOL!
I've just learned to acept it and move through it.
You'll have an awesome time!
Have fun!!!
Race well :)

Mojo said...

You will do just great! The temperature looks wonderful for racing.

I'll help you get your mind off of it with a question. What are you packing for your 65 mile ride? You always have some creative ideas.. Remember, Real food for Real Triathletes? Enjoy your long ride with Buttercup tomorrow!