Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Heat index 97*F today

That has me seriously worried about Eagleman in 12 days and my heat acclimatization! It could be a really long, nasty day out there if the weather is anything like today. What also worries me is that I just noticed that they switched my swim start from 6:50AM to 8:08AM. Uh oh! So I sent in an appeal to race management:
"Is there any chance the 40+ Athenas can start in the 6:50AM wave with
the age groupers (as we did last year) instead of the 8:08AM wave? Some of
us old Athenas (like me) are pretty slow. I'd feel a lot better getting an early
start in the cool of the day, with a 15-minute gap until the next wave, and
being able to finish while there are still some other folks out on the run
course. If we start at 8:08 AM, there will be 2 waves swimming over us at
5-minute intervals (Clydesdales and relayers), plus some of us will be out there trying to finish up the run course a LONG time after everyone else has packed up and headed for home!! Thanks for considering it!!"

13 comments:

Sara said...

Come out to Arizona, Lake Havasu, where the temp was 106 over the weekend. Just come to Arizona where a bank clock/temp sign said it was 91 at Christmas. That will help you with the heat, but of course we don't have 200% humidity either.

Nancy Toby said...

Temperature per se isn't such a problem, actually! It's the acclimatization I'm worried about, which I have none!!

Habeela said...

How on earth did I forget all about your heat acclimization? Clearly the heat went to my head.

I hope the race organizers change your start time back to the original time - it really does seem backwards!

jeanne said...

ugh, i hope they relent and change the time back. or it cools off. It got HOT so fast.

PuddyRat said...

Good luck with your appeal! I hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears. I'm with you about wanting the earlier swim start, too!

BTW, from what I know about Eagleman...it CAN be brutal out there. Good luck, too, with the acclimitazation.

Lynne said...

For the life of me I can't figure out why they start Athenas/Clydesdales AFTER the age groups!! In all my whopping 5 tris - outside of Danskin - They have always been last!? Go figure. Good luck on your appeal. Hopefully the weather will break and you'll have a JUNE tri, instead of DC August!!!

Mojo said...

Your letter makes a lot of sense. I appreciate people that try to do something about a situtation rather than just stress about it.

I hope they listen to your wisdom.

Oldman said...

turn off the air in your home, don't use it in your car, train in a logsleeve shirt that will help.

I can't beleive the heat here it is hotter here than in Naples...84* yesterday!

Holly said...

What did race managament end up saying?

Cliff said...

nice and hot..btw good job on the practice tri in the previous post. I would love to do that sometime.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I feel for you though. I like it exactly between 60 and 80F, with a small breeze crosswind on the run and no breeze on the bike. I'm picky that way.

Nancy Toby said...

No reply yet. I just got the official emails with the same lineup. Bah. I might see about switching to age grouper.

Tammy said...

Ugh... heat + me = bonk. Then again, I'm not much for the cold either. Must be why I live in lovely, moderate Seattle :)

Good luck out there!