Friday, May 12, 2006

Appendicitis

Yep, the inflammation was confirmed by the CAT scan, so my husband will have surgery to remove that little bugger either tonight or tomorrow morning. Fortunately it sounds like they caught it early enough that he didn't have some of the more horrible symptoms, other than a painful, sleepless night last night.

Meanwhile, the girls and I are a two-hour drive away, so I'm not much help in bringing him a toothbrush or extra magazines or a change of clothing! I'll probably drive back tomorrow morning, although he may not be released from the hospital until Sunday. The hospital is quite close to our townhouse, so he could even take a taxi home if it was necessary, but hopefully I'll be able to pick him up.

I guess there are a few things more important than a bike ride, right? I'll have an extra-long taper for the Columbia Triathlon now. I have my fingers crossed that he'll bounce back quickly enough to take care of the girls (including lifting ~30 pound squirming uncooperative things) for a few hours within a week of surgery, because otherwise I'll have to DNS!

8 comments:

Brooke said...

Nancy, I hope that your hubby is feeling better soon.

I have a favor. I am writing an extended definition paper for my English class over the term "overweight." My main focus in the essay is how the term is misleading. A couple of weeks ago you had a post about your BMI, I was wondering if you minded if I referenced your blog in my essay?

Thanks, Brooke

Dori said...

What a shame. I'm glad your husband didn't suffer worse than he did and I hope he bounces back quickly. Maybe a friend or family member would be willing to help out next weekend so that you can race guilt-free. Great graphic, btw.

Habeela said...

Appendicitis? Not fun! Hope everything goes as planned and he (and you) are back up and biking soon.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Bless your hearts - abdominal surgery is not fun. You're in my thoughts! Maybe you could get the girls to help you with nursing?

Granny said...

Best of luck to both of you. What a bummer but good they caught it early.

Holly said...

Oh Nancy ... Glad they caught the appendix early with you husband! May he heal quickly and I hope that Columbia stays on your horizons!

A DNS stinks but it is much better than a burst appendix and sepsis!

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Yikes, look what I missed by not staying caught up. Hope all is well now.

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

How sudden! I'm glad to hear they caught it early but, still, it's scary.