Saturday, May 13, 2006

Taper, anyone?

Those are tapers. Signifying that I'm beginning my taper for Columbia much, much earlier than I had planned!

Bad news: This was (unexpectedly) my lightest training week of the entire year. 5.5 total hours, including essentially zero cycling. I was really banking on a nice long swim on Friday and a 65-miler today, neither of which happened. I guess that's why they call them emergencies. I won't do anything foolish like try to make up for lost time now - I'll fit in some short workouts when I can carve out a few minutes next week and do my best to go strong into Columbia.

Other bad news: My husband was instructed not to lift anything over twenty pounds for a MONTH. That takes us all the way past Eagleman. I don't know how we're going to juggle minding the babies and my training both, unless I start doing a lot at 5AM while they're asleep. Ugh.

Other REALLY bad news: My twin girls are now officially at the stage where they think that the most hilarious thing in the world is to remove every last stitch of clothing and run around like crazy girls and do their very best to escape from the Wrath of Mom trying to re-clothe them.

Good news: My husband is home, safe and sound, pretty uncomfortable after surgery yesterday, but we picked up a nice supply of Percoset for him which should see him through. I told him to be sure and save the extras.

Right now the long-range weather forecast for the Columbia triathlon couldn't be better: "More sun than clouds. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the mid 50s." I'd better stop looking at the reports. All it can do is get worse.

11 comments:

Comm's said...

I have been so busy the last 48hrs I missed your husbands emergancy stuff. Terrible news. Though 20 pounds for a month seems a bit drastic for a acute surgery. I bet he lifting the kids after ten days.

Mojo said...

Aww Nancy! You have had a rough weekend. I'm glad your husband is okay. One month of no lifting anything over 20 pounds? Wow! You are going to have a very strong back by the end of the month.

My nephew went through the "I'm too sexy for my shirt, pants, clothing" stage when we were at the beach together. When I babysat him, I ignored his nudity and eventually he got tired to being naked. Or maybe he got cold?

I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day! You derserve it after this weekend. Tell your husband to share his Percocet since you have to do all the lifting. :)

Bolder said...

good to hear your husband is on the mend.

where do you think your little girls learned that one Nancy? hmmmmmmmm?

Ann Ewbank said...

No worries. You will do great in your tri with all of the training you have banked already!

Kewl Nitrox said...

So glad to hear hubby is better. Take good care of him.

:D My boys went thru a bit of that phase. The easiest way to deal with it is probably to ignore them (probably helps that I live in 86F Singapore).

So what are tapers? The pic is so tiny...

KLN said...

Good luck with everything, and how about a college kid looking to make some extra bucks, as a mother's helper/babysitter? There are plenty of schools near by (at least in NoVA) -- bet you could find an education major who needs some extra $$. Aren't there a bunch of CCs down on the Eastern Shore, too? If you call their career office, they might have some ideas about finding help.

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Percoset. Good stuff I hear. Seriously, I'm relieved to hear your husband is OK. Your plate is very full this weekend, taper or no taper.

As for the girls' new hobby, they wouldn't live up to their nicknames, Chaos and Entropy, without interesting habits.

Sara said...

Geez I'm 33 and still at that stripping stage and running around the house. Isn't that normal.

Hope the husband gets better. I have toe surgery next Friday for the third or fourth time. Hopefully the last time.

Chris said...

I'm really glad to hear that your husband is doing ok! I'm sure it's a very routine surgery, but I'm sure it was plenty nerve racking!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Ah. I remember the naked stage. Well, perhaps cranking the a/c up might persuade them to wear some clothing? Or perhaps not. It'll pass. My understanding, according to child youth and family services, is that it's not legal to padlock them into their clothes.

Nancy Toby said...

Is duct tape legal? We kind of need to know.