Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I received a summons

. . . for jury duty.

Normally I wouldn't mind at all, since it's a civic obligation and yes, one of the cornerstones of our democracy (as they stated in their friendly summons letter).

BUT! It starts the day after Eagleman. Which means I'll probably have to do a 3-hour drive back to Virginia that I hadn't planned on, the afternoon after a half Ironman triathlon.

Plus my husband is going to have to take valuable vacation time to babysit the girls in my absence.

If I'm sleeping in the courthouse, I doubt if they will pick me to serve on any juries. But I suppose right after Eagleman is as good a time as any to sit on my butt reading novels for two weeks. It's actually going to be in the same courthouse as the Zacarias Moussaoui trial, but I'll be too late by a few weeks to nail his hide. Hmm, the defense lawyers probably won't pick me if they find my blog, either. Unfortunately cameras are barred from the courthouse too, so it's going to make pretty boring blog fodder, I'm sure. But I'll report in as it happens.

11 comments:

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

You don't see a lot of highly educated women with backgrounds in science on juries. Not that we don't have to do our civic duty but it would surprise me if you were seated as a juror.

Nancy Toby said...

Yeah, especially not ones that wear "Fry the Bastards" tshirts to the jury pool selection. Heh. :-)

To tell the truth, I don't want to have to wear "nice" business clothes again. Ever. Maybe I'll just show up in my lycra running shorts that I wear around the house. That will put off the DC lawyer types!

KLN said...

Tsk tsk both of you, for falling for those stereotypes. Nancy is exactly the kind of juror I'd want -- one who will actually pay attention to the evidence presented, and analyze it carefully. Believe me, if you're going to trial in federal court, thats what you need (no matter which side you're on).

Nancy Toby said...

Maybe I should just get a tshirt made that says,

"My Dad went to Florida and all he got was Old Sparky".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Sparky

And wear it to the jury pool selection.

Born To Endure said...

Or a shirt that says "Easily bribed"..tee hee...I hope you don't have to go through all of that!!!

Comm's said...

isn't there a box to check that you can postpone for one time only. Plus if you go down there and tell them now that you will be out of the state the day before and had not planned on being back that day and show them the entry backdated to your sign up date, they should be cool with giving you the next session.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

If it were me, I'd think seriously about rescheduling. Then again, if you think the race will take a lot out of you, go in there looking sickly and exhausted and maybe they won't pick you.

Nancy Toby said...

Seriously, since I was planning on cutting back the training for the week after Eagleman, those two weeks are as good as any for me. It's just going to be a little painful the first day or two back after Eagleman, I'll bet.

If I really wanted to avoid it, I could file a change of address to our weekend place in Maryland pretty easily and legitimately, since I was planning on staying there full time starting in June anyway. I did request a deferral based on the child care situation, and I'll just leave it up to them and see what they say.

I'm actually kind of interested in doing it, but I hate to see my husband burn up all his vacation time for babysitting.

Fe-lady said...

Until the summons comes "certified" mail, you never got it? Right? (just a thought!)

Habeela said...

Jury duty is actually kind of interesting. I almost failed Psychology because I got called in the day of our final and the prof wouldn't let me make it up. Thank goodness cases involving the loud music ban move quickly.

The next time I got called up, I was overseas...a 14 hr plane ride commute was enough of a deterrent. :)

Mojo said...

You are too intelligent and factual for jury duty. They never would pick my dad either.

If you are choosen, can you still blog? I'd miss reading your blog if you were gone for two weeks!!