Tuesday, May 09, 2006

My favorite proteins

I hear now and then about triathletes choking down lumpy protein-powder shakes and that just strikes me as just plain WRONG on so many levels. I'm all about Real Food for Real Triathletes.

How about these Real Food alternatives that are excellent quality protein sources, that are also reasonably low fat and low in calories?

Mmm, crab. Mix with a teensy bit of mayonnaise and put on crackers or rice cakes with juicy red sliced tomatoes. Or spread it on a half bagel and broil a little cheese on top.

Serving Size: 2.5 oz.
Calories: 40.00
Total Fat: 0 g.
Protein: 9.00 g.

Or similarly, canned chicken breast can be prepared the same way. The 3 ounce cans have only 70 calories and 15 grams of protein.

The pre-sliced pre-cooked chicken breasts are also yummy and couldn't be easier for sandwiches or salads. Half a cup yields 90 calories and 15 grams of protein.

Or if you like pork, you can buy small pre-sliced Canadian bacon or ham at about 25-30 calories per slice, loaded with protein.

Then again, there's always my all-time favorite - a lean hamburger straight from the grill! In our grocery we get wonderful locally-produced pre-made Angus patties that have fewer than 200 calories each after cooking.

11 comments:

Comm's said...

I haven't seen the crab one yet. I will look for that today. Thats looks de-lish.

Habeela said...

Random fact: your crab is not philipino crab...weird jobs I have had in the past make me privvy to this "ueber important" detail. I love your last option...that's my favorite!

Nancy Toby said...

Hmm, I just checked the package and the crab is from Thailand! We have little crabs here locally but they're a lot of work to eat. Personally I like the Alaskan king crabs the most, but with lots of drawn butter they're not so low fat!

Mojo said...

Nancy, you are my kind of woman!
Real Food for Real Triathletes is a good one! Can it be my motto? :)

I kept telling my coach I wanted to eat a hamburger on my bike during the half. I had to settle for a PB&J. I didn't realize the body had problems digesting solid food when your heart rate is above 150bpm.

You do not know how difficult it was for me to swallow down 5 packets of GU.I gagged when I ate the Tri Berry one.

I'll be looking for the crab one, it will probably take a year. Our podunk town still doesn't have Samoa Girl Scout Ice Cream!

Born To Endure said...

yummmmmm I'm starving..and yes, I get sick of hearing how people can live on powerbars and protein shakes..blechhhh

Fe-lady said...

SOunds good..I'm more of a tuna and tofu fan myself. I I do have to say that I LOVE my protien shakes (Vanilla Whey protein) mixed in a BLENDER with OJ, a banana, some fresh strawberries and a tablespoon or two of tofu...YUM. And definitely NOT lumpy, but gets me thru a morning at work (plus a breakfast bar or half a bagel with cream cheese)

TriDaddy said...

If you like mustard you can try substituting Dijionaisse for mayo. Dijionaisse has zero fat. Except during races, I'm totally natural. A lot of people don't realize that lean ground beef has less fat than ground turkey. Ground turkey breast is the leanest, but cooked like a patty, it looks more like an albino burger. I'll steak with the lean ground beef. Oh yeah, and Smuckers natural PB.

Julia said...

Oh, I'm going to Thailand next month! I'll have to remember to order some crab :-))

Nancy Toby said...

Yeah, I like tuna also, but I'm a bit concerned about the mercury content, so I don't eat it more than a couple of times per month.

The only tofu I've ever liked has been deep-fried. Which kind of defeats the purpose, eh?

I do like ground turkey in chili and spaghetti sauce. LOL albino burgers!

Unknown said...

The protein shakes aren't as lumpy and nasty as they used to be. And it sure is easier to knock back a shake when you're on an epic event or training session than it is to chew on meat. But I do try to eat real food during events for as long as I can chew!

Bolder said...

mmmmm, crab.