Monday, May 08, 2006

I hate the medical establishment

Rant ahead. Skip this post if you aren't up for a rant.

I can't stand it! I hate hate hate dealing with anything medical! It's no wonder people avoid going to doctors!

Our almost-three-year-old daughter Elisabeth has fluid in one ear from her cold. Now we have to postpone her hearing test for AT LEAST another month, depending on when we can fit conveniently into their schedule. More unknowns. More time off work for my husband, using up vacation days. More time before Elisabeth can get a real diagnosis of the extent of her hearing loss and get effective treatment for her speech delay.

Oh, and can we reschedule? Not with just one phone call, NO, of course not! This requires a series of at least three or four phone calls.

And then when we do get the hearing test done? They can't tell us the results. We have to wait at least a week after that to disclose the results to us, the mere parents. The actual results need to be handed down from God . . . er, a physician, enthroned in the Desk of Authority. Another week after the test, at least. Another week wasted.

And oh yeah, if she has a significant hearing loss, then we have to file a lawsuit against the hospital that overdosed her twice on medicine while she was in there for heart surgery, which caused the hearing loss. Not that I'm suit-happy, but it will be necessary to get the extra therapy and hearing aids and education and whatever else she will need.

Gosh, do you think I'll get that return phone call that I was promised up and down by the hospital ombudsman soon? It's only been, oh, 30 months or so.

Maybe I'll get to see that doctor again. That really kind and sympathetic one that told me right after they overdosed Elisabeth on an ototoxic drug, "If we suspended nurses who gave overdoses to patients, then we wouldn't have any nurses."

And oh yeah, the county-based therapy that she has been getting terminates when she turns three next month, so we're kicked out the door on that and have to find something else for her.

Gack. Do I sound frustrated?

9 comments:

Granny said...

Of course you do and for good reason.

It's hard enough when they mess around with adults but it's unforgiveable with a child.

There is no excuse for waiting where a permanent disability may be involved.

And they'll listen to me as much as they'll listen to you.

Thinking good thoughts.

Ann

Mark said...

Yes. And I would say your frustration is MORE than justified. Sending good vibes your way, Nancy. I hope everything turns out well for you and your family.

jeanne said...

That sucks Nancy. I know how people hate unsolicited advice, so feel free to ignore, but have you taken her to the kennedy institute at johns hopkins? They are really good (i was an intern there in my former life as a social worker).

Seems like she SHOULD be eligible for some early intervention program, or SOMETHING even after she turns 3. The entire medical establishment is truly frustrating.

Ellie Hamilton said...

AARRGGGHHHH, that makes me so mad!!!! I hate it!! And I'm a nurse! (Or was...) I hate hospitals! I hate medical bureaucracy!!! I hate their damn schedules however long ahead!! I hate their damn chain of command!!

Don't get me started.

Lynne said...

I swear "they" think that if you are strung out long enough you'll just give up... Stay strong! It sucks!

Hang tough! Elisabeth is a fortunate child to have you for a mom!!

Mojo said...

Wow, Nancy. It sounds like a nightmare. It seems so simple, you just want Elisabeth's hearing tested. You have to jump through so many hoops.

I'm actually really thankful that my Dad was retired from the Air Force and I was treated at Fort Bragg when I was going through chemo. The military hospitals don't have much bedside manner but they get the job done quickly and efficiently.

I'm really sorry you and your family have to go through this. There isn't anything worse than feeling helpless.

Sending good vibes your way!

Holly said...

Nancy .. your frustration is SOOOO justified! Just don't give up until you get what you need for Elizabeth.

Sending positive vibes your way!

Comm's said...

I can't stand doctors. more concerned about a lawsuit then helping patients. No concern about timing or effort on the part of the family. i completely understand your frustration and please, please do the right thing and get all you can in a suit for your daughter. As one who knows, don't settle or be nice. This is not a legal lottery situation or frivalous lawsuit

*jeanne* said...

Oh, Nancy that's just AWFUL!

An OVERDOSE of a PREMIE baby undergoing heart surgery. Overdosed TWICE!!!!

And now all this rigmarole. Abominable.