Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Swimmingly!

swim·ming·ly
ADVERB:
With great ease and success: Things are going swimmingly.

What a funny word! Swimming never goes with great ease and success for me. It requires effort and concentration and repetition. Sometimes enough to make my head swim ("To experience a floating or giddy sensation; be dizzy").

But I was back at it today, and my time in the pool over the last few months is yielding results! 3150 meters, and most of it felt strong and comfortable. To be sure, I'm still far from being a fast or even moderately-paced swimmer. But I'm getting glimpses of a very new and surprising feeling in the pool: competence.

That feels good. Strange, but good.

2 comments:

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Ahh. Ain't competence grand? There's nothing nicer than that day/moment when you realize you're past the breathless/spluttering/anaerobic swimming stage. It feels great! Rock on!

Mojo said...

3150 meters? Wow!! That is super- stellar swimmingly sucess!

It must be great to feel confident swimming that far, that's awesome!