Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A few updates

Calorie counting: Is still going! Six weeks now and I'm down 4.5 to 8.0 pounds (depending on which scale I use), but down LOTS and LOTS of inches. Again, I'm not doing any big-time calorie restriction, just trying to make sure that most days I take in less than I burn, which I can't seem to do consistently without actually logging everything I eat. Everything has fewer calories in my head than it does on paper.

Elisabeth: My daughter's new hearing test is now scheduled for the middle of JULY. Ack! Yes, that's supposedly the first they could get her in. Grrrr. Thank you for all your helpful comments, everyone! It's fantastic to know that such a group of wonderfully well-informed professionals is reading my blog! Part of my problem is transitioning the girls out of the Virginia system to a new system in a new state (Maryland) when they turn 3 on June 1st, and I just have to get the ball rolling on that. Without having a diagnosis in hand, other than apraxia (which just means she's not talking much).

Workouts: I've been fighting off a cold this week (which everyone else in my household had, hence Elisabeth's cancelled hearing test) and I've skipped at least two workouts, feeling fatigued and dragging my tail. I want to make sure I'm strong and well-rested going into the Columbia Triathlon on May 21st, when I'll be swimming 0.93 miles, cycling 25.4 miles, and running 6.2 miles. Yes, as one non-athletic person asked me, without a break! I just hadn't planned to start my pre-event taper quite this early! I've got a 65-mile bike outing scheduled for this Saturday which will be my longest ride so far this year and should help reveal any cracks in the foundation of my preparations. Or more probably, in my aching back.

6 comments:

Chris said...

Great to hear that you're seeing *both* inches and pounds! That has to be a great feeling!

Phil said...

Hey Nancy, just checking in after a long hiatus from reading blogs. I sure hope the metric century goes well for you!

KLN said...

GREAT JOB on the pounds and inches. Can I borrow some of that progress, please!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Poor Elizabeth and poor family. July is a long way away.

Congratulations on the pounds and inches lost. May they stay away forever. Enjoy your taper before Columbia. I can't wait to see you win most improved athlete.

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Join the "cold" club. I sure hope we both feel better soon.

Comm's said...

you and I are racing the same distances on the same day. The gossip should be good between us.