Friday, May 19, 2006

Final wetsuit test-run

Just got back from my final test-run of my wetsuit tops at the pool. The pool was lousy with aquajoggers and aquawaders and aquabiddies and aqua-old-farts. I had to get on the treadmill for half an hour hoping they would clear out, and they didn't. Gack.

I have a DeSoto Black Pearl two-piece and two tops (sleeveless and sleeved) that I wanted to test. The water was 86*F so it was too hot to test the bottoms without heat stroke, but they don't usually cause any problems for me. I just used a pull buoy to simulate the added buoyancy of the bottoms.

Test swims, 50m, comfortable, consistent pace:

Sleeved, pull buoy: 1:05 twice
Sleeveless, pull buoy: 1:10
Sleeveless, no pull buoy: 1:17

I guess the moral of the story is to hide the pull buoy inside the wetsuit bottoms somehow. Since my figure is considerably lumpier than the model at left, that shouldn't be a problem.

12 comments:

Oldman said...

Good luck tomorrow.... kick some a**!

Cliff said...

Have a blast tomorrow.

Let me know if u figure out how ot add a pull buoy :)

*jeanne* said...

You sound so CALM!
You are READY READY READY!!!!
:-)

tri-mama said...

Have a great race this weekend! Glad to hear the hubby is ok-those things are so weird. Your kids are as cute as ever--can you tell I'm catching up on some back reading? :)

Nancy Toby said...

I realized that my attempt at humor would be lost on folks that didn't know what a pull buoy is. It's a big (about a foot long) chunk of buoyant styrofoam-type stuff that you use in swimming drills. It would kind of stick out in my wetsuit.

jeanne said...

come on, we KNOW that's you in the photo! kick some butt, take some names!

Comm's said...

Oh please I thought that was totally you in that picture.

Mojo said...

LOL Aqua Biddies, Aqua Farts... I feel your pain! I always have to fight for a lane during water aerobics.

You will do wonderful, pull buoy or not!

Although,stuffing a "pool boy" into your wetsuit sounds like fun too! :)

Nancy Toby said...

Thanks, Comm! But that's not one of my repertoire of hair colors. :-)

And woo, pool boy inside a wetsuit!? HOW FUN!!!

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Go Nancy Go!!!

Sara said...

Did you run on the treadmill in your wetsuit. :)

Training for my 10K in December has come to a halt for a least 4 weeks for now and probably longer. Had toenail removed for 3rd time in 3 years. OUCH you can say for me.

Chris said...

Hope you're liking your wetsuit. I, too, have a DeSoto two piece model and love it! The two piece design just makes so much sense. I'm surprised it hasn't caught on with more companies.