Thursday, May 11, 2006

Sodium source

Electrolytes. You need more than you think during exercise, especially in hot weather. Especially this time of year when you're not acclimated to the heat. ". . . typical electrolyte loss rates by sweat are 1,300 mg/hr for sodium, and 230 mg/hr for potassium". Especially if you're a larger-bodied Clydesdale or Athena athlete, like me.

I recommend replacing those electrolytes as they are lost, rather than waiting until you are depleted and running into trouble. Hyponatremia (low blood sodium) symptoms are not uncommon in endurance athletes and include dizziness, disorientation, bloating, nausea, muscle cramping, and stomach "shut-down". Also soft-tissue swelling (i.e., swollen fingers, unanticipated blisters on feet on longer runs).

I'm just passing this along today because it's the season that we transition back into working out in the heat, and it's important. Plus the sodium source that I use, Succeed capsules, has a new website and online buying source, here. I have no commercial relationship with them. But if you're an endurance athlete and don't have another concentrated source of electrolytes for endurance activities on hand (and no, sports gels, sports drinks, and pretzels do NOT have sufficient sodium to replenish losses), consider buying some Succeed capsules. And use them during any workout longer than two hours.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Great tip, Nancy! And a great product! I used them my first season with great success.

Mojo said...

Thanks Nancy, I didn't know that sports drinks didn't count. I'll have to look into buying some capsules.

Julie B said...

I use SUCCEED! every hour during every workout over 10 miles. You have to or you will definately bonk..believe me, I know it! Been there..done that.

Holly said...

Thanks for the reminder Nancy! SUCCEED made a big difference in my marathon this year! ... and so did you ...

Can you make a "Nancy" clone that I can bring on all my races? Hmm....