Friday, December 30, 2005

The eagle soars

I had a real treat today when I went over to the track for a short run. There were a pair of huge bald eagles in the infield! That was probably the closest I have ever been to one in the wild (at least, that I realized was there). They were gorgeous - enormous and unmistakeable, with their bold white heads! I suspect I interrupted their tasty brunch on a big fat Canada goose which was spread around the infield, buffet-style. I was able to watch them for a long while before they took off slowly and reluctantly. At 46*F outside, the goose will keep nicely refrigerated until they can return this afternoon for a snack.

I tested out the pace of my run:walk intervals over 5K. Jogging 5 minutes and walking 1 minute, I did the first three miles in: 12:23, 12:20, and 12:19, so I'll call that an average pace of 12:21 min/mile for 5:1 intervals. I finished up another half loop for an easy 5K time of 38:32.

I'm hoping that if I do 5:1 run:walk intervals just like that for the first half marathon at Disney World, and the first 18 miles of the marathon, I may just be able to stay relatively fresh and strong for the final 8.2 miles. Maybe I can even keep it up to the end for a strong finish. If not, I can probably walk it in and make it under the 7-hour cutoff. The Goofy marathon might even be a good test of run:walk pacing for Ironman Florida next November, when I don't expect to be able to run the entire thing due to the fatigue from already swimming 2.4 miles and cycling 112 miles, but if I can minimize the death march long walk at the end will help my finish time a lot.

Today's 5K time of 38:32 (12:20 min/mile pace for 3.12 miles) predicts a marathon time of 6:14:48 (14:16 min/mile pace for 26.2 miles), and that's about 45 minutes faster than I absolutely need to be to finish and earn the Goofy medal. I think I can do this!

6 comments:

:) said...

If that's not a good omen for your three goofy runs, I don't know what is! No camera???

Nancy Toby said...

I sure hope so!!! Nope, no camera when you really need one, of course!!

The Big Cheese said...

Those eagles are HUGE. You are right you don't know how big they are until you see one up close.

Papa Tweet said...

Nancy,
You can totally do it. If you can do it in training you can definately do it in a race. You've raced enough to know that you get a little extra spring on race day. Well, unless you don't taper correctly or something. But you wouldn't do that right? You can totally get that medal. It's yours for the taking. Good luck.
Benny

Sixteen Chickens said...

Wow! How exciting! We have a pair of bald eagles here that like to sit in the cottonwood tree over looking the river in the winter. I'm sure a goose would make a very fine meal.

As for the Goofy marathon, I know you can do it! You are my running heroine! Can't wait to see you come home with that medal!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Bald eagles are SO cool. Love the, I really do.

Great job on the 5K pace. At that pace we'll see a lot of each other during the half marathon!