Saturday, December 17, 2005

Christmas tags

I still haven't responded to being tagged, in keeping with my slacker ways. But I like to read all the very personal details that are being posted around the blogs!

Here's my very favorite Christmas song - because it's so painfully bittersweet. It usually makes me cry when I hear it -- only the poignant original Judy Garland version, first released in the darkest depths of World War II in 1943, when millions of families were separated for the duration, and doubtlessly wondering if they would ever see their loved ones again:

Have yourself a merry little Christmas, let your heart be light
From now on our troubles will be out of sight

Have yourself a merry little Christmas, make the yuletide gay,
From now on our troubles will be miles away.

Here we are as in olden days, happy golden days of yore.
Faithful friends who are dear to us gather near to us once more.

Through the years we all will be together, if the Fates allow
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.

And have yourself a merry little Christmas now.



Update: My Mom corrected me on the release date for the movie Meet Me In St. Louis, in which the song first appeared. It came out in 1944. She would know! Curiously, it was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Song - for "The Trolley Song". Huh? But it won an ASCAP award in 1989 for "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".

3 comments:

*jeanne* said...

It's a BEAUTIFUL song! I once sang it in a stage show called "1940s Radio Hour". (I fear I was NOT very good in the show, but I felt great about that song!)

Of course...it wouldn't hold a candle next to Ms. GARLAND's version. (But how many performers' renditions could? Zero?)

Linda said...

For some reason that song has been running through my head all week!

Born To Endure said...

That song gives me chills when I hear it..I loved Judy Garland!!