Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Eve Run

Went for a nice slow two loops around the neighborhood. I enjoyed seeing the decorations on the houses as I jogged along. The decorations in the neighborhood seem very uneven - one house on every block seems to have every surface decorated with lights, and then probably fifty percent of the houses have nothing, the rest somewhere in between.

For some odd reason I kind of like those big snow globes. This is the first year I've seen them out in people's yards. They may be tacky, but I think they're fun. Not that I'm going to run out and buy one, mind you. Our only decoration this year is our Christmas tree (with no ornaments, only little white lights) in the front window - which looks quite serene and minimalist, I think. Last night Catherine said the lights look like stars, and I agreed!

On my run, one old guy walking out to get his mail offered to race, and I said "Sure! To the corner and back!" The corner was about three houses away. He laughed and said he probably couldn't run that far. I thought that was nice and honest!

Much nicer than the truck that whizzed right past next to me, much too fast for our residential roads, from which I caught a whiff of cigarette smoke. Then it veered sharply right in front of me just to get their mail out of their mailbox, so they didn't have to walk a whole fifty feet from their house. Merry Christmas, jerks.

On most of my jog, though, it was peaceful and quiet and comfortably warm - 55*F with no wind today. The only sounds were my own huffing and puffing and the honking of the Canada geese who have taken up residence here. Why are they Canada geese and not Chesapeake geese? We sure do our share, housing and feeding them half the year! I like them, though. One of the houses here had a whole display of Canada geese in the yard with red ribbons around their necks. Nothing says Christmas in Delmarva like millions and millions of geese!

PS: Don't forget to stop by Santa's blog and thank him for the great job he's doing tonight! I've got some yummy almond macaroons waiting for him! Well, if they last that long. I wonder what kind of beer Santa likes best? He sure seems to like it here! At last check, NORAD spotted him in Egypt!

4 comments:

tri-mama said...

I just got back from my run-more cookies for santa now! I almost bought one of those snow globes, went with the big snow man instead-still haven't put it up because for the first time in years we could build a real one. Have fun with the girls tonight!

Linda said...

C'mon, Canada Geese are our only claim to fame. We put up with them all summer. MERRY CHRISTMAS! Have a good one.

*jeanne* said...

Merry Christmas! :-)

(They are REINDEER antlers...NOT "W"s)

UltraMamaC said...

Merry Christmas -- hope you and hub had a great day with the girls!