Wednesday, April 19, 2006

No running skirt for me


There's a new fashion in running skirts.

I just don't get it.









I think running skirts make just about as much sense as a hijab in the 100 meters at the Olympics.

Not for me! Unless otherwise I would be wearing the bikini-bottom type bottoms for running in, and I wanted to cover up my butt. But I won't be competing in those any time soon, so I don't. Why would I want excess fabric flopping around me when I'm running? If it's not long enough to wipe your forehead or nose on, why bother?

But Mark likes them.

Fine. "You like 'em, you can wear 'em", is my response.

So he is. The only catch being that he wants to extort* some charity donations from us for the spectacle.

Huh. Does HE donate to charity every time every time he sees a chick running in a skirt? I doubt it. But I'll play along. I'm just deciding where my next charity donation should go. Suggestions?



*Update: Just giving you a hard time, Mark. I'm in for $20 more to the Lance Armstrong Foundation in support of one of the worthiest causes out there. You go, Mark.

Update 2: Okay, Steven nailed me for another $30 to the LAF. But that's my limit!! :-)

Update 3: Okay, this is REALLY it. $20 in support of the Arthritis Society and Coach Gabbi swimming a 5K. Stick a fork in me!

Update 4: I lied. $25 in support of Team in Training and Robin's successful bid to run the Boston Freaking Marathon as her first marathon. Congratulations and well done! Now I'm really done.

11 comments:

Spandex King said...

I'm with you. No skirt for me!!
It doesn't matter how awesome my legs are.

Steven said...

You can donate to the LAF on my blog, too! I'm doing the 100-miler in July to raise money.
Come on over...

Born To Endure said...

Well..I would wear one if I looked like those models..I don't see anything wrong with them..at first when I saw them last year, I was WTF?? Now..like anything else, you get used to the "look"..well at least I did..:-)

bari said...

Actually, if you ask me, the hijab makes more sense. She might not feel comfortable without it or she might not be able to represent her country without it -- who knows? The skirt? Well... I'll bet some of my teammates would like me to run in a skirt, especially when it gets windy. They can keep dreaming 'cause it ain't gonna' happen.

Fe-lady said...

Skirts are for tennis and golf...
I saw a few at IM AZ and in local 10ks here. I guess I am from the old school...or just "old"! :-)

Grant said...

I'd wear a kilt after the fun if I didn't shave my legs...but I would race with it for the same reason I wouldn't race wearing a parachute! Somebody needs to keep it real.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Sorry, I love the little skirts. Don't have any yet because of the chaffing issue, but as soon as I get that taken care of, I'm gettin' one!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Joe and I talked about this last night. We don't get it. I'm not that modest. Triathlon does that to a girl.

Will Steve wear the skirt for is century if we donate? ;)

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Also, as far as I've read, these "skirts" sound like a combination of spandex/nylon short with a fabric cover up, right? I can make my own cover up.

Comm's said...

I saw hillary biscay run IMAZ in a pair with just a sports bra on top. Not only was she the 'hottest' pro out there but from a pure critical point of view she is built like a Michaelanglo statue.

Nancy Toby said...

Um, I thought it was about going 140.6 miles. Not how hot you look, male or female. But maybe I'm just an old stick-in-the-mud.