Monday, April 10, 2006

Death to the devil squirrel

The squirrel that hangs out in the crape myrtle tree in the front yard and feasts on and knocks down off the tree the little seed birdhouse my mother gave me has outdone herself.


Over the weekend I discovered that she built a friggin' ENORMOUS NEST inside of our grill. Yeah, the grill that we use every week. Never mind that it smelled like the remains of a forest fire - she still was dumb enough to think it was a cozy little box just right to bring up baby squirrels.


I pulled all the straw out and it filled 1/3 of a huge industrial-sized garbage bag. Then I had to wipe down the whole grill, and then I fired it up for a few minutes to burn off the last remaining straws. It did need cleaning anyway from a winter's worth of bird poop, but I wasn't expecting that big of a job!!

12 comments:

Born To Endure said...

That squirrel wouldn't be around if you had my greyhound..:-)

:) said...

Funny.

Anonymous said...

Grrrrr, Squirrels! Fiesty little brats who steal flower bulbs out of the garden in the spring and the bird feeder thing, OH, what jerks.

I saw this cool bird feeder at the store the other day that recoiled when a squirrel lands on it, knocking them to the ground.

The nest in the grill, though? That's got to be the most annoying behavior I've heard so far!

Backofpack said...

Too funny. My Dad was having squirrel problems once. He was catching them and driving them a couple of miles away to release them. For some reason, he became convinced the same squirrels were back, so when he caught one, he'd spray paint a stripe on it,then take it to the park and let it go. Sure enough, the same squirrels came back! Apparently they return to their nesting area. I've heard that you have to take them at least seven miles away to keep them from coming back!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Nesting in a grill? Talk about a lack of self-preservation!

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

I've never known a sqirrel to do that...wow.

*jeanne* said...

Poor little squirrel - just trying to LIVE LIFE.
;-)

They do make all kinds of strange, wonderful and generally expensive squirrel-proof bird-feeders.

I actually bought a squirrel feeder - you put dried corn ears on it, hoping that will keep them off your birdseed. But the squirrels here in CB never bother my bird feeders. They feast from the feeders NEXT DOOR! :-P

*jeanne*

PS - Hey, Nance, here's a blogger I think you'll get a kick out of:
http://blackbeltmama.
typepad.com/black_belt_mama/

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Gotta love the squirrels. Ours plant peanuts in Joe's orchids. Get's Joe SO mad.

Anonymous said...

Ok. I don't have a squirrel problem.
They eat off my platform feeder but that's about it.
So....I think that was one smart gal to take advantage of what from her point of view must have been natures grace to provide such a sweet nesting box! LOL

Cliff said...

BBQ squirrel..anyone? :)

Nancy Toby said...

LOL! It hardly seems fair, doesn't it? I wouldn't mind if she wanted to go under the porch where the bunnies live.... but not in my GRILL! I need that!!

Mojo said...

Oh goodness. At least you found the nest before lighting the grill! Barbequed baby squirrel would be pretty sad!