Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Another swimming breakthrough!

Here's a self-congratulatory brag post. Just so's you know, so you can skip it if you want.

I'm making headway in the pool! Last year about this time it took a feat of superhuman endurance for me to swim 39 laps in 1:08:35 - or the equivalent of 2000 m in 1:10:34.

This morning I had a 1500m straight swim in my workout plan, but I felt good so I just kept going to 2000m. 40 laps, at a comfortable pace with a few short stops for goggle and cap adjustments and tugging at my swimsuit. Didn't quite make it under an hour, but close: 1:00:51. 13% faster than last year, while swimming at a comfortable pace! YAY! That's solid progress!

That gives me splits of 14:38, 15:23, 15:32, and 14:27 - which tells me that if I want to pick up the pace a bit at the end, I can!

I also did a few 25m sprints after I was done with the continuous swim segment. My fastest 25m times are still in the 34-35 second range, but they're starting to feel more comfortable - less choking and gasping, more actual propulsion.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of times I can make in open water swims with a wetsuit! If I can get down to business and do a good freestyle stroke without taking time out to hyperventilate from the shock of the cold water and the constriction of the wetsuit, I should be faster than in the pool.

Okay, I'm going to put it on the record here: My dream time for the 1500m Columbia swim on May 22nd is 38:15. Ten minutes faster than last year. There it is. Less than five weeks to get myself ready for it. They offer a Most Improved Award (which is unusual), and it would be really encouraging for me to do well in that category!

5 comments:

Bolder said...

we want to see a photo of you, and that Most Improved Award on May 22nd.

you can handle the details.

we want that pic!

Nancy Toby said...

Whew! You guys are *on* me all the time!

I have to improve something like 35 minutes overall to get the Most Improved award. I'll do my best, but I don't know if that total will be possible. We'll see!!!

Comm's said...

hey there is nothing wrong with self congrates. thats great improvement. dont be shy about that.

Chris said...

Awesome progress! There's nothing quite like looking through your logs and seeing solid improvement in your times, eh?

And no need to apologize for your self congratulations. If you don't let us know... how can we be excited for you? :)

Mr. Apropos said...

That is an amazing amount of time to take off in the water. Great job!