Sunday, April 23, 2006

GW Parkway Classic

No, I didn't run this race this year. But Jeanne did, and she rocked it, at a 10 min/mile pace! Her reflections on the improvements in her running time for the same race in 1999 reminded me to try to dig up my time on that course in 2000. It was one of my first runs back in my "new" running incarnation (after 11+ years layoff).

Yes! They were still online! Here I am, 6 years ago this month, before I got married:
402 41:04.7 4146 NANCY DEUEL ST. MICHAELS MD F 42 13:14 40-44F 25/29 232/266 54/74 5

I worked HARD to get that 41-minute 5K finish time, as I recall. I did run:walk intervals and pushed the pace, but at close to my all-time high body weight, it was a lot of work to move!

My current 5K PR is 30:26, from last November. If my memory serves, it was EASIER to run that 5K at age 48 ten minutes faster than the one 6 years ago. Even after a year totally off of running in the intervening years, healing a stress fracture and having triplets. It was easier thanks to a few years of minimalist training, and a forty-odd pound difference in body weight.

As Jeanne said, "Who said getting old sucks?"

Life is good!

4 comments:

Sara said...

my plan is to run a 10k this winter. and i've been running a few times. not rushing into it definitely.

Granny said...

Just saying hi, I don't get over here often enough.

Nancy Toby said...

Go go go Sara! Hit some 5Ks first! You can always walk them and enjoy the course for plenty of time!!

And Hi Anne!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how hard running can be in the beginning!
Thank God it gets easier :)