Sunday, April 23, 2006

Apricot ride

Dried apricots are starting to be one of my favorite foods to take along on the bike. About 17 calories each, they're loaded with energy and potassium and Vitamin A. They also travel well in a snack-sized ziplock in the bento box, are tart and moist enough that they still taste good when you're hot and parched, and can be easily popped in your mouth one by one. Plus they don't melt, and they don't go bad if you forget and leave them stored on the bike for a couple days! I don't yet know what they do to my digestion over a very long ride, though, so I wouldn't want to rely on them heavily before they undergo further testing!

This morning I got in 34 miles on the bike, riding at a comfortable recovery pace along the highway and through some of the local residential neighborhoods. I was still a little creaky from my 10km race yesterday, and the dark, cloudy, chilly (~51*F), dank day didn't give me much inspiration to put the hammer down. It still felt good to be outside! Plus I enjoyed eight juicy dried apricots at my turnaround place. Yum!

4 comments:

Habeela said...

Apricots! What a great idea. I'll have to try those.

Miss Rachel said...

Note to self: put those on the grocery list. I had forgotten how good those are. Yum.

Downhillnut said...

I think they're a source of iron, too. I like them cut up into oatmeal. I should get some more!

Comm's said...

apricots are great. Though to me they are bit to restoritive to my digestive system and would need full facilities if I ate them on a race.