Friday, April 07, 2006

Don't fear the flat!

I had bent off a valve stem on my front bike tire a few weeks ago, and I want to take it out on the road again this afternoon, so it was time to change that inner tube. So for a little experiment, I timed myself.

Now this was in my kitchen, when I wasn't tired, and feeling fairly calm, and not swearing my dang fool head off. I changed it in a fairly methodical manner, without rushing at all. I did everything that I would have to do in a triathlon on the road, using the tube and tire levers and compressed air that I keep stored in my under-seat-pack.

Start to finish: 6:32.

I've had transitions that were slower than that.

Hurrah! I can do this!! That's enough time that it would be difficult to make it up, but it would be no reason for getting really upset or dropping out or anything silly like that. Just as long as I didn't have to do it more than once (knock on wood)!!

That's one less thing to worry and obsess about in my triathlons this year!

11 comments:

Bolder said...

well freakin' done!

no do the rear, and report back.

;o)

p.s. if you see me by the side of the road -- you are now obligated to stop since you are like an Indy Pit crew.

LeahC said...

nice job!

Born To Endure said...

You know that's funny, I did that exact thing for my first IM, and you know what I NEVER EVER GOT A FLAT! It's only at times when you're least prepared that you get those darend things!! Good work!

Mojo said...

I'm ashamed to admit I have no clue how to change a flat tire. I must learn to do this before my Half.

Isn't there any men out on the course with jacks that are willing to help you?

Good tire change time. It reminded me of Nascar!

:) said...

Practice, practice, practice...

There is no way to get better at this other than doing again and again.

6:32 is a very respectable flat change. Wanna race?

Lynne said...

Well done!! I can change a tube, but have never timed myself. I still fear that I would become flustered during an actual race... Preparation is definately key!!

Nancy Toby said...

MOJO!

You go wash your mouth out with goat's milk soap, or something. ;-)

Flo said...

Good job!!! I've never timed myself but I think I'm slow.

One of the tri groups here goes around while folks are swimming and randomly lets air out of bike tires. The folks that have to remove the tube and replace it before airing the tire up. Excellent practice for race day. One guy had 3 flats during IMC and handled them like a champ. Someone said, you should practice everything - transitions, tire changing, everything.

Kewl Nitrox said...

That great! What a confidence booster!

I think you would actually be quicker on the road since there is no worries about getting the kitchen floor dirty, but let's hope you never find out. :)

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

I love Bold's comment. And ummm I'm like Mojo, I've never changed a flat on a bike or a car.

Hubby's always done it on my bike and last time I had one on my car was early am on my way to a ski hill. Two ladies in spandex ski pants on the side of the road. Yup first vehicle by was a guy in a truck who was really happy to change it for us.

I promise Nancy, when I decide to move onto Tri's I will learn to change my own tire....lol.

Nancy Toby said...

I promise you, there is no part of a penis that is necessary for the flat-changing procedure to work effectively. :-)