Sunday, April 16, 2006

Houses

Maybe I'll become a realtor after the girls are old enough to go to school.

Sheesh! I just found out that the plain-Jane Cape Cod four doors down from us is on the market for $959,000. Why they didn't just call it "A Cool Million Smackeroonis", I can only guess.

Location, location, location! They're waterfront with a fantastic view straight out to the harbor, which adds about $400,000 to the value.

Our house is a VERY modest modular (that's one-half step up from a double-wide), worth a teensy tiny fraction of that. It was nicely landscaped when we bought it, before I started killing all the plants. We had the nasty overgrown firethorn tree that was threatening the side of the house chopped down, and I killed a bush on the side of the house, and now even though it's April one of our lilacs is still only bare sticks. Time to chop the sticks down too, I think.

Our house is "water view" which means if you stand on our deck on tiptoes, you can see a tiny sliver of water between the million-dollar house and the one next door. That sliver adds about $10 to the value of our house.

But we have nice neighbors. :-) I love our small town!

6 comments:

Jennifer P said...

If you build a taller deck does that mean it was really be waterview? Or maybe a lawn chaise on the roof and you could have a roof top patio?

The Big Cheese said...

My parents have been telling people that their house is now water view. I tell them that the water standing in my belliebutton doesn't count. They are checking in on it.

Mojo said...

Become a realtor? Sell a house? Wow! That's about like me becoming a day care worker!

Sounds like you have a beautiful little neighborhood. I can't imagine playing 1,000,000 for a house though!

Nancy Toby said...

Jen -
I wish! If I could do that, I'd be building! But there's just trees in the way higher up. It would have to be REALLY REALLY tall to clear them!

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Housing market has gone nuts up here. Our place has gone up like $100,000 in 3 years. Some places went up $20grand in just a couple of weeks. It's just nuts. Course we'd only be rich if we moved away somewhere where they're giving houses away. *sigh*

Comm's said...

believe it or not there are cape cod homestyles even in phoenix. I love them. Tried to buy one a few years ago to no avail. I rented a place with a 'water view'. Yeah when i stood on my tiptoes and looked out the retangle window over my shower I saw a portion of the lake between two buildings. Top Dollar.