Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Circadian rhythm and blues

I went out for a jog tonight after my husband comes home from work, something I don't normally do. You see, I usually like to work out in the morning. Make the workout a priority when my energy is high, get it done and over with, and have the rest of the day to relax and not have to try to schedule it in. Although I do sometimes ride the bike trainer at night while watching TV, I don't usually attempt any training outside late in the afternoon or evening when my energy is usually at its lowest ebb.

I just remembered something during my jog tonight.

During Ironman Florida, I'll be starting a MARATHON sometime after 4PM, and probably within an hour before sunset.

Your body can do whatever it gets accustomed to through training. But ugh - running at night? Well, yeah, I guess that's the plan.

I guess it would be a good idea for me to try to get to a lot of our twilight races in the area this summer, and start incorporating more sunset jogs into my repertoire.

10 comments:

Tammy said...

Love that painting! :)

Good luck w/the late workouts... I find my excuses pile up the longer I wait... no matter what the task (workouts, homework, etc.)

Kewl Nitrox said...

I'm totally opposite. I prefer running at night in the cool night air. :)

You should have donated the grill to the cute little squirrel! :P

Born To Endure said...

That a girl, now you're thinking. I always tried to mimic race conditions in my training too.

Lynne said...

A smart idea with some evening runs/ races... Boston starts at 12:30 and I have been dreading the idea of running til 6:00 p.m.

I wish I had done more afternnoon runs.

Mojo said...

Always wise to be looking ahead! Remember the bright side though, it will be getting cooler in the evening as the sun sets for your run.

Anonymous said...

I'd much rather run after work!
Morning running and I just do not mix well.
The only thing I can manage to do in the a.m. is a half hour of yoga before I go to work.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I LOVE running after dark. Maybe I was a vampire in another life. When I have to run in the sunlight I shrivel up.

Nancy Toby said...

Um, it must be hard to run when all shriveled.

Last time I tried to run in REAL dark I almost broke my leg falling in a ditch.

Downhillnut said...

Very smart realization there. I'm very much the opposite - prefer my runs later in the day when my body's had a chance to wake up. Somehow my legs are really heavy during early morning runs.

Now you've brought it to my attention that if I'm to use the early start for my marathon this July, I'm going to have to do some early morning long runs! Ugh. Oh, THANKS.

UltraMamaC said...

i used to prefer early morning, but I can't seem to drag the body out of the bed these days with the TM so handy now. But I really do enjoy late afternoon/twilight runs. Except that once we get past April or so, that is still an unbearable hot part of the day around here.