Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The extraordinary becomes ordinary

This training changes a person.

Hmm, I guess that's what it's for, eh Sherlock!?

This morning I hit the pool and did my 2550m swim, like usual. Like I do once or more often twice per week these days.

A year ago that swimming distance would have shocked me! Over half a 5K? In one go? Unbelievable! A half ironman swim, plus a third more!? Twice a week!? I wouldn't have believed it.

The lanes were full when I arrived, so I stopped a couple of the swimmers and asked them to circle swim so I could join them. Last year I would have been too fearful - I would have avoided the pool if the lanes were full and gone to the hot tub or down to the gym, rather than "bother" the "real" swimmers. Today I took my rightful place in my lane, because I belong there too, and simply started my swim.

Last year I would have needed several laps of breaststroke to warm up and feel comfortable about my breathing and putting my face in the water. These days I just jump in and start swimming freestyle without even thinking about it. It does take me a few laps for my stroke to get warmed up and comfortable and for my breathing to get into a rhythm, but I can now swim through that uncomfortable part at the start with confidence.

Last year in April I worked very very hard to swim a 14:53 for 500 meters, and was tired enough that I got out of the pool after another 500 meters. This morning my first set of 1000 m in 29:31 was my opening warmup set, just getting comfortable and warmed up and relaxed while circle-swimming and distracted by two other people in my lane making me stop short now and then.

The biggest difference of all? Last year I enjoyed getting in the water now and then, but actually swimming laps was hard work that I disliked. These days? I really enjoy swimming now. I look forward to getting into the water and getting to that fluid state where I'm balanced and moving along smoothly like a lazy alligator.

Practice, practice, practice - it makes all the difference in the world!

9 comments:

:) said...

Way to go, Nancy!

Holly said...

Outstanding post Nancy! I still can't even imagine 2250 in a workout but you have me inspired to get in the pool and be a lazy alligator too!

Elbows Up!

Steven said...

You have made such huge strides! Way to go, nancy!

Cliff said...

Are you addicted to chlorine :)

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

You're starting to enjoy swimming? You're a sick woman! Great job on your endurance!

Bolder said...

practice... there's an idea.

thanks for showing the way!

to the pool Batman!!

MB said...

that's awesome, Nancy! I look forward to that day!!

LeahC said...

That's awesome! Nice job nancy.

Dianne W. said...

Hmmm... I'm feeling a faint "I told you so" buzzing in my head. But I'd never say it out loud! :)