Friday, August 19, 2005

Rainy day

Today I was hoping to do another long walk with the girls in the jogstroller. Alas, I checked the weather map and there's a big line of green, yellow, and orange headed this way. Since I'm watching the girls on my own today, I think it's a good idea to wait until that passes through.

That means it's time to set up the bike trainer here in St. Michaels, so that I can get in some workouts regardless of whatever it's doing outside! Super-nice guy Graham Wilson from the TRI-DRS list shipped me a bike trainer that he wasn't using, so today I can unpack it and set it up and try it out with Buttercup.

Update: Tyler Hamilton says his hearing on the blood doping accusation that has kept him out of competition for a year is scheduled for September 6th and will last about a week. We wish him well! Here's a quote from his latest journal entry:
"So there is a bright side to every situation. Training in the mountains and riding along side champions of all kinds is comforting territory. My forced break from competition has been a drag but it has also been a gift. I've never been one to take anything for granted. The end of my ski career taught me that lesson. But I can say that I have had the great fortune of spending some of my time off with folks who remind me not to feel to sorry for myself. [Wheelchair athletes] Jimmy and Steve prove to all of us that kings don't throw pity parties. They just regroup and get back in the game."

2 comments:

:) said...

Cool...take some pics of Buttercup on the new set-up so we can see! What kind of trainer is it?

Have fun and make sure you watch TV or something...and keep those girls away from the back wheel. I had to make sure my son understood that it would pretty much cut fingers off if he stuck his hand in the spokes! Scary tactic, but effective...

Nancy Toby said...

Eek! You're scaring me!

I have to remember to put the baby gates around it when I'm on it! The girls are still too young to have any impulse control AT ALL - they still stick their fingers into everything - or else put it in their mouth....