1) Does anyone mix up their own gels? I was just thinking about mixing up my own carbohydrate concentrate, since I can't seem to find one I really like. Read http://www.cptips.com/gelown.htm for some ideas on this topic. I'd like to mix up a thick slurry that I can swig out of the gel flask and combine with water from the water stops, either on the bike or on the run, and get the energy I need, supplemented with electrolyte capsules. There's a few recipes online here, too.
2) Is there a commercial gel - any brand, any flavor - out there that really tastes GOOD to anyone when they're working hard and hot and sweaty? I've run through several of them on the market - Powergels, Clif Shots, Hammergels, CarbBooms, etc., and they all taste like warm crap to me when I'm hot. I take them because I know I need them and feel better if I keep my nutrition up, but I really have to choke them down when they start tasting bad.
Recommendations I've gotten so far (I'll keep a list here as I receive them):
- GU chocolate
- GU plain (Linae says it 'sucks the least')
- Hammergel apple cinnamon
- Hammergel(?) vanilla
- Cytosport Gulp 'n' Go vanilla
- Another vote for eGels (I think I need a polling feature).
Here's a table of nutrient composition of various gels (thanks Phil!).