Saturday, August 13, 2005

Juggling update

Well, I did my swim workout today for 1900m instead of 1500m. And now it's 102*F heat index. So I'm not doing the bike workout I had planned. Call me a whiny loser, I still ain't doing it.

I'm looking at the schedule for sunrise at 6:15 tomorrow and I'm thinking I need to get my butt out the door by 5:30 to beat the heat. I've got to get that long run done in preparation for marathon season, and every one of those 14 miles I have planned is gonna be UGLY.

I spent last night and this morning trying to figure out this Goofy thing. I booked my flights, now I'm trying to decide where to stay out of the six zillion Disneyworld options. I don't want to have to walk much except during the races, so I'm not planning on going into any of the theme parks. I may splurge and stay at one of the three resorts (Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian) served by the monorail, all of which cost small fortunes to stay at. Insiders tell me that the monorail is running before the 6AM race start, so that may work. I don't want to have to get on any of the friggin' Disney buses at 3AM just to stand around forever in the dark! I DO want to lie around the hot tub and pool all Saturday afternoon after the half marathon, sipping a tropical umbrella drink like they used to serve up at Trader Vic's, to steel myself for the marathon the following day. So I'm leaning toward the Polynesian.

Some weird friends are planning to do the Disney half marathon as characters from Sleeping Beauty: Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather. I don't think I'll pass as Briar Rose, the Sleeping Beauty. Then again, maybe at the 6AM starting line in the dark in January, I could probably do the sleeping part. Or perhaps I should take a page from Snow White and go as Sleepy the Dwarf.

All this for a friggin' Goofy medal. Just because I'm a medal ho. How dumb is that!?

4 comments:

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Go for the Polynesian. Joe and I love it. If we're going to spend the BIG BUCKS, we stay there. They say Aloha and give you a lei when you arrive. How cool is that?

tri-mama said...

I got an alert about this race, I can't believe you are going to do it, although I'd have to say I was tempted. I'm going to Arizona to do Chang's with tridaddy and Commodore and...
Since back to back races would probably kill me I'd choose the nicest hotel as a final resting place :)

Helen said...

If you can stand the price tag, I suggest staying at the Boardwalk. I've stayed there the last two years for the marathon and it's been great. We take the last shuttle from there to the starting line and we've only had to wait about 15 minutes for the starting gun.

Your family will be able to watch you run by on the boardwalk itself towards the finish of the marathon and if they have a park ticket they can follow you through Epcot to the finish line.

It's also the closest hotel to the finish line so the bus ride back to the hotel is fast and you don't have a lot of time on the bus for your legs to stiffen up. Plus, there are handy places to eat all around on the Boardwalk and surrounding hotels.

Good Luck! I haven't signed up for the Goofy challenge yet but my sister has and she's still trying to convince me to sign up too.

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Oh yeah, and I'm not wierd. I think the key to the costume is to give the illusion without wearing lots of heavy fabric.

I'm still thinking about your costume.