Saturday, February 11, 2006

No swim clinic!

Due to some snow tonight, the swim clinic that Holly and I were going to tomorrow has been either cancelled or postponed. Darn! I was really looking forward to it!!

Fortunately I was able to get in a pretty good run this morning before the drizzle turned into hard rain (which is now turning to snow in the evening). I ran 10K at a solid 12 min/mile pace - not pushing at all, but not lollygagging either. No walking, just 5 or 6 stops for busy street crossings. Since I hadn't run since last Sunday, my legs felt strong and solid and comfortable most of the way, which was nice. While swimming I never feel that solid, and in cycling I only feel solid for about the first 90 minutes before my back starts giving me grief. Running is my "old reliable" fallback discipline.

Oh, and special mention - since Cliff brought up his 15 hours this week - is that this week I broke 10 hours of training for the first time this year. Onward and upward! I'm starting to get accustomed to doing a little time on the bike trainer most days if I watch TV, but yes, it's boring.

In other news, I'm bummed that Olympic gold-medalist cyclist Tyler Hamilton lost his appeal for blood doping violations. I hope to see him racing again as soon as his suspension concludes in September. Usually I'm very skeptical about these things, and I don't know exactly why, but for some reason I still believe in Tyler. There just seemed to be far too many questions about the analysis procedures, and I'm particularly troubled by the testing agency's assumption of a zero probability of false positives.

5 comments:

Backofpack said...

Too bad about the swim clinic, but sounds like you made up for it with a nice run. It's always good to get it done before the weather falls apart.

Bolder said...

i'd like to point out, that i don't know about Tyler, but this Boulderite is not a cheat.

'course, my times reflect that.

Kewl Nitrox said...

The news about Tyler - Sad. I also seem to have the 90min barrier on the bike. Pushing to 120mins now with a betta bike fit and more training...

Lisa said...

Sounds like you had a nice run! Too bad about the swim clinic, but it sounds like your swimming is really progressing well! Go Nancy!! :)

Comm's said...

great job about the 3k swim. Too bad about Tyler. he seems to be a pretty cool guy.