Friday, February 10, 2006

First 3K swim!


Woo hoo! I finished my first-ever 3000m swim today! In the pool which is still mucky and murky, too. But it's done! It took me something over an hour and a half. 862 meters to go to finish that Ironman-distance swim - which I'm becoming increasingly sure that I could finish within the 2:20 allowed on the course!!

Plus, naturally, I need a LOT LOT LOT more training so that the 3862 meters in the water on Ironman day doesn't exhaust me for those other activities I have planned that day. Namely 112 miles on the bike and 26.2 miles on foot!

Today's swim included a 1000m time trial, which I completed in 31:21. Try as I might to work on my technique, I can't seem to sustain a pace much faster than about 1:30 per 50 m. At least not without a wetsuit and without doing flip turns. YET.

Perhaps that swim clinic on Sunday that Holly and I are attending will give me some jet propulsion, somehow. I can hope!

Now I'm STARVING!

10 comments:

Flo said...

First of all, WOOOHOOOO on the 3000m. Isn't is awesome when you pass a milestone like that??? Bolder commented on my blog about how we are adults, accomplished in so many things, yet we get so excited about the swimming! How true.

Second, thank you. I thought I was just the slowest person on the planet with my swimming. I'm still way slower than you, but at least now I know I'm in the ball park. My 50m are running around 1:40. With everyone else talking 100 m in 1:10 and such I thought I was way out of it. Apparently not. Thanks Nancy, I just love your blog.

Backofpack said...

Hey good job on the swim! Since I only get in the pool when injured (and then mostly water-jog)I am so impressed by all you swimmers!

Since I'm new to this whole thing, and this is my first visit to your blog, I've got to say congratulations on those adorable twins! I'm 48 too, but I'm at the other end of the parenting spectrum (as in, almost done!). I'm impressed you can fit in Ironman training with toddlers in the house!

Cliff said...

Congrats... :)..no boinking in the swim in IM :)

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Good job on the swim and time. Awesome!

Ellie Hamilton said...

Far out!!! You're gonna make it just fine!

*jeanne* said...

GREAT job, Nance!!!

But why is pool water murky? Too much chlorine or something?

Not-a-swimmer.

Hey...any sign of this STORM that scared me from going to a THEATRE FESTIVAL this afternoon???? NONE here.
(YET? But scared & missing the festival.)
:-(

*jeanne*

Liz said...

Congrats on your swim - that's awesome!! You are absolutely not slow - 3K in an hour and a half is great!!

Bolder said...

keep workin' it.

we are all in this togethah!

Lynne said...

I am IMPRESSED... I think I'd shrivel up before surpassing an hour of swimming... There's that whole boredom factor... and the chlorine smell that would definately cause me to cut things short... KUDOS to you!

Chris said...

Congrats on the epic swim!