Sunday, February 26, 2006

Getting to IMFL

250 days out from Ironman Florida. Is it time to panic yet?

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get myself and my bike and all my gear down there to Panama City Beach.

One method is to drive my minivan. Two days sitting on my butt on the road each way, mega-gallons of gas (1860 miles round-trip = $200+ for gas), a couple of nights in motels on the way, a couple vacation days for my husband minding the girls, fatigue when I get there. And oh yeah, then re-installing the baby seats when I get home (the girls and husband are staying HOME).

OR the other method: I can ship my bike and a bag of gear (helmet, bike shoes, wetsuit, pedals) with TriBike Transport for $235, fly down with two days later departure from the airport that's fifteen minutes from my home, arrive well-rested, pick up a rental car, and pick up my bike at the race venue all ready to go. Do the race, and fly back the next afternoon and sleep off the soreness in my very own bed.

Why am I even thinking twice about this?


Update: Decision made. That didn't take long.

Payment Details
Total: $235.00 USD
Item/Product Name: Bike Transport to Ironman
Item/Product Number: 2006_imfl
DC/virginia_fallschurch_bonzai: Felt S25 tribike yellow
Buyer: NANCY TOBY
Message: To Ironman Florida, Panama City Beach, Nov. 4, 2006

7 comments:

Olga said...

Because it's fun to think about and it takes the edge off of training anxiety. I always book trips and sign up for new races when my goal race nears. Quite silly, because I end up with more races to be scared about:)

DebbieJRT said...

Is it feeling more real now that the bike has a ticket to Ironman? Stay strong - you inspire me!

Nancy Toby said...

I'm not sure REAL is a good thing. ;-)

Papa Tweet said...

Don't tell me about panic, 250 days seems like an eternity. I have gone back and forth about how to transport my bike. Luckily, mine will be driven down by my close friends that are driving 12 hours each way to watch me race. Meanwhile, I'll fly down and get some rest and mental prep time. I want to buy a bike box but I never want to break down and buy the dam thing. If you fly with American West, they will fly your bike for free, as long as you are a USAT member. That is, if you have a bike box. You could buy one with the cost of your one time transport. Of course, you would have to disassemble and reassemble it yourself or pay someone to do it. Either way, we play an expensive sport. All well, better than golf.
Benny

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

I thought I read somewhere sporting equipment was included for airfare but perhaps that's only in Canada.

Nancy Toby said...

Definitely not down here! They'll hit you $80+ each way for bike shipping, plus the hassle of getting the box and breaking the bike down!

Wedgie said...

This does sound like a good plan for the future (I'm lucky enough to have a drop-off store not too far away) but does it seem odd that they make you take off (and keep)your own pedals? It may not be a big deal, I wouldn't know how to remove my pedals and I could easily see myself forgetting to pack them. I would think a full-service plan would take care of that hassle for you.