Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Come on Spring!

I saw a robin this morning on the trail! The buds are getting big on the trees, too. I hope that means that spring is right around the corner! I need that burst of energy that the warm temperatures and sunshine seem to provide.

I did four slow kludgy miles on the W&OD rail-trail this morning and most of it was clear of ice and snow, although I did have to tiptoe carefully over some ice-bound bridges. Well, at least I got in a session of that low heart rate training that everybody keeps talking about.

Then again, robins are notoriously dumb birds. Probably the one I saw was just too stupid to migrate, and was hoping desperately to find a frozen worm somewhere in the snow.

5 comments:

Sixteen Chickens said...

Yes, hurry spring, hurry hurry hurry! There are bike rides, open water swims, and long road runs waiting for us! Let's hope that Robin was the fastest bird on earth, he came in first place on the flying north leg of his race.

William said...

Ship some of that over here will ya?

I won't see a robin for weeks or months.

Ellie Hamilton said...

Actually not all robins migrate. Some who live in temperate climates (like the mid-Maryland area)stay, just hiding in thick brush during the cold snaps and snowstorms but venturing out during thaws. I've seen robins in January in western Maryland (although those MUST have been just stupid...)

Chris said...

It's actually been in unseasonable warm winter so I feel bad complaining, but I too can't wait for Spring! The idea of being able to ride outside in shorts is dreamy!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Spring in north central new mexico is apparently much crueler than it is where you are! Here the buds on the trees get all fat and hopeful, and a tiny leaf pokes out here and there, then BAM!! A killer frost comes in and wipes out your peaches. Ugh.