Sunday, January 22, 2006

Riding a horse of a different color

This morning I was cursing again. I brought with me over the weekend my cycling jacket, technical top, tights, shorts, socks, booties, extra spindle, etc., -- everything except my cycling shoes. Again. Gack! I even had my wonderful new cycling shoes with me, and new cleats also, but I hadn't mounted the cleats yet and I didn't have the all-important proper screws to affix the cleats to the shoes.

So instead of trying to find some suitable hardware at the Local Bike Shop or hardware store early on a Sunday morning, I rode our old clunker $150 Walmart Mongoose bike with platform pedals around the backroads. It was about 40*F and windy - maybe too cold for Bolder, but just fine with me.

Now that was weird. I've been riding with clipless pedals for about a year straight now. Today I'd lift my foot up off the platform pedal and instantaneously have a startled reaction - something's wrong! My cleat just let go! Oh, yeah, duh, I'm not using cleats.

It was sort of fun pedaling s-l-o-w-l-y around the rutted gravelly backroads and over grass and sand where I would never ride Buttercup. Even so, I definitely will get the cleats mounted on the other pair of cycling shoes this coming week so that I'm fully prepared wherever I am.

I saw a few Eastern Bluebirds today on my ride. I didn't realize until recently that they stayed around here all winter!

7 comments:

*jeanne* said...

Hi, Nancy! :-)

Ellie Hamilton said...

Hi, and Happy Sunday, even though you didn't have your bike shoes!! I've actually been thinking about getting a Wal-Mart Mongoose so I could go more places. There are so many well-maintained gravel roads here that my road bike won't go on, that *I* would like to go on....

Tammy said...

Wow... that Buttercup is SUH-WEEET! Way to stick to the plan. I can't image riding w/out clipping in! :)

Kewl Nitrox said...

Sigh, I hate it when that happens, my version is packing my goggles and gym gear on a business trip but forgetting shoes or socks or swim trunks. My wife is positive that I am getting senile before my time. :)

Hey, looks like we haev almost the exact same cycling shoes (the SIDI). COOL!

:) said...

Dang...at least you got a ride in!

Holly said...

I agree with my bro, Flatman! You got a ride in!

Fe-lady said...

Sounds as if your next bike just may be a mountain bike! (I love the dirt!)