Friday, January 13, 2006

Back at it!

After taking THREE whole days completely off this week (woo, that was great!) I'm back at it! I'm hoping that I can roll right back into training now without experiencing that typical post-event slump that occurs so often with big races. Amazingly enough, I don't seem to have any lingering aches or pains from the 42 miles at Disney World, which takes me completely by surprise. I suppose doing them at a very comfortable pace using run:walk intervals is responsible, along with the 30+ minutes cooling down in the swimming pool for recovery each day. Maybe that mai tai on Friday and the Maui Rita on Saturday helped me sleep better too - which actually was important performance-wise, since every extra minute of sleep was golden!

Yeah, I feel great! Nobody is more surprised at that than me! Believe me, if I felt rotten, which would be completely understandable considering the far-too-little training I did for last weekend's event, I'd be complaining about it here at great length, but no - everything is goooood!

The weather here helped prompt me to get back out there working out - we were very fortunate to get a completely unseasonable 60*F sunny day here today. Hooray! I took Buttercup out for 31 miles and we had a Most Excellent Ride! I also took the teensy camera along and took some photos on the way. I can't post them until I'm back at my usual computer on Sunday, so I'll share my typical bike ride route with you all then.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think there is some Disney magic at play here. I am not sore either...how strange is that? I only did the marathon, of course, but normally I would be pretty sore!

Holly said...

I'm not all that shocked that you felt so good after these distances. I felt pretty good after the MCM marathon and had a relatively pain-free recovery.

I think people vastly underestimate the run/walk strategy in terms of physical recovery.

Again CONGRATS on such an awesome accomplishment!