Monday, January 23, 2006

I won a prize!

The YMCA, of which I'm a brand new member, just telephoned me to today to tell me that I WON A PRIZE! Woo, I'm thinking! A custom-installed 50m lap pool? A new treadmill? A leftover sweatshirt?

Nope. A "fitness assessment".

Is it just the natural skeptic in me that tends to believe that everyone who signed in at their open house on Saturday got a phone call that they WON BIG and got a fitness assessment?

I'm reasonably certain that it doesn't include a VO2max measurement or underwater weighing or a blood lipids profile, and might possibly involve those humiliating body fat calipers, and would most likely focus on a tour of their weight machines, so I think I'm probably going to skip it. I think my usual mile repeats around the track and 200m swim times tell me just how fit (or unfit) I am right now.

7 comments:

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Never had the underwater one but I did have my body fat measured at the gym before they gave me my routine. I was curious. At least I found out I'm not all fat...lol.

Anonymous said...

I'm totally late for "say hi" day, but Hi!!!! anyways ;-)

Cliff said...

A late hi. Sweet u won a prize....well it might not be a prize that u want but u still won it :)

Dianne W. said...

I have a suggestion: Get the assessment done, and remember to schedule another just after IMFL.

Comm's said...

At my clubs we do calipers and weight and circumference measurements on tours of the club, but we tie it all into the goals of the person to develop an exercise program. We do a sub-max test on a stationary bike that is not super accurate as long as the score goes up, that all a neophyte needs.

Face it, no gym will give a $150 labor intensive VO2 test to someone who is deconditioned.

What you should be skeptical about nancy is the fact you, regardless of what you think, are not deconditioned or new to exercise.

Bolder said...

oh, that reminds me, in Toronto in 'The Beaches' there was an outdoor 50m Olympic pool... it must have had ten lanes... god i miss that bad boy...

you have access to a 50m?

Nancy Toby said...

No....

Actually there is an outdoor one in one of the DC parks not far from the Jefferson Monument, but I've never swum there. It's only open in the summer, but I might go there a few times if I can't get in any open water swims.