Sunday, September 04, 2005

Nancy's lemon iced tea sports gel recipe #1

I mixed this up today and it tasted pretty yummy to me - but I like strong tart flavors. Experimentation on long runs will continue....

1 Tbs. lemon juice
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. lemonade Crystal Lite
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. peach iced tea Crystal Lite
3 Tbs. white Karo syrup
2 Tbs. honey
(Optional for more liquid: 2+ ounces water)

Dissolve Crystal Lite in lemon juice in a measuring cup with a good pouring spout. Mix in Karo syrup and honey. Pour carefully into a gel flask.

Makes about 3 fluid ounces or 3 gel packets worth. More liquid, much less gel-like than most commercial gels. If you want to have a more liquid version, you can fill the rest of the flask with water. This version probably has a high glycemic index of 55 to 60 - so you'll want to take many small swigs over time rather than one big gulp. Like most gels, it isn't a significant source of electrolytes - be sure to replenish sodium and potassium separately in addition to energy and hydration on LSD runs. Use with caution at first - you may react similarly to a big dose of, say, prunes (although I should note it did NOT have that effect on me).



Follow-up: I tried this on a 15-mile LSD run on 9/5/05 and liked it a lot! :-) It was about the right amount for that distance - for a marathon I'd make up enough to fill the flask (5 fluid ounces). Plus with a gel flask there are no wrappers to dispose of, and it probably costs less than fifty cents for 5 ounces. :-)

3 comments:

Comm's said...

Hey I like that idea. Never really thought of making my own, just combining brands. Though I am not likely to be allowed to play mad scientist in the kitchen.

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Hmmm I just might have to try this. Sounds yummy and way cheap.

By the way good luck with those Sept. goals. I have mine set, but yet to post.

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Hmmm...but does it taste like cough syrup. :-). Sounds like a good idea. Maybe I can make something with milder flavors to make my stomach happy.

Go you for branching out into the gel market!