Thursday, September 01, 2005

Gas prices

I'm hearing lots of folks saying yeah, yeah, yeah, that's sad about New Orleans - but complaining vociferously and at great length about gas prices.

I have to say ... in the scope of this overwhelming disaster, a few more $$ at the pump is a miniscule price to pay. I feel extraordinarily fortunate that I all I have to do is pay a few more bucks and my family can go on with life as normal.

I'm counting my blessings.



Update:

"Your comment on Katrina's effect on energy prices is being considered for publication in a special collection of responses on the Opinion page of The Christian Science Monitor's print edition."

6 comments:

:) said...

You are so right! I can't believe people. This morning on the elevator at work, this guy was complaining that he had to stop on almost every floor before he got to his. Dude!

Born To Endure said...

We take so much for granted, I am praying for those poor people stranded down there..my heart aches for all of them..the only thing we can do up here is send our $$$ to the Red Cross!!!

Ellie Hamilton said...

I've told several people about this and mostly the women agree, and the men say "They're just taking advantage and price-gouging."

Anonymous said...

I have only just read about the problems with the hurricane and the devastation - it's heartbreaking

tri-mama said...

I recently heard a challenge for a national "gas free Sunday" I liked that idea. Instead of complaining, maybe spend less time driving and more time with family and neighbors. It just might help us feel a little more human again, so we aren't so inclined to complain in the face of horrible things like these.

About Me: said...

it is a sad thing to complain about...but for some people living on the margins, i mean, barely making it, those extra dollars at the pump will make the difference between making it and not. so complicated... i don't have answers. but i know a lot of people are suffering right now and it will get harder. important to count our blessings. thoughtful posts