Sunday, November 20, 2005

Ready for winter cycling!

Whee! I just spent a small fortune at REI, just to make sure that I have NO EXCUSES this winter when the roads are clear of snow not to be out there cycling! I've got a very warm pair of cycling gloves already. Here's the lineup of the rest of my new gear:

Thermax headliner (can be worn as a balaclava, hat, or neck warmer - thin enough to wear under a bike helmet)Novara thermal tech headbandDescente cycling booties
Hind radiant sport top
Novara conversion jacket - great design, long-sleeved windbreaker converts easily to a mesh-backed vest. Highly visible to motorists, and it even goes with my bike! I think all I need are some warm windproof cycling pants! I'll probably use this gear a lot for running, too - well, except for those booties.

What have you done to ensure that you have NO EXCUSES on account of weather this winter? Remember, they say there's no bad weather, just unsuitable clothes!

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Glad to see you stocked up! (I work at REI, so all those items are familiar to me.) I definitely need to pick up a few other winter training things.
There are a few options for windproof pants at REI too... did you see the Switchback pants? (They're on sale!) :)
Enjoy your new gear!

Papa Tweet said...

I need to make a similar investment. Things are getting pretty cold here in Utah. Ironman AZ in April means alot of winter riding for me.

*jeanne* said...

Well, I already have a TREADMILL for impossible weather days. Although Millie can be VERY VERY tedious, I did do a 16-miler LSD on her while training for Vermont City Marathon. (I hope never to have to do THAT kind of distance on her again!)

I have lots and lots of layers, but my main shortcoming in the STUFF department is rain gear. I can heap up against the COLD, but I have very little to keep me DRY in precipitation...

:) said...

Are those booties water proof too? I likey!

Born To Endure said...

OH MY!!!! I have almost NO winter cycling stuff...I really should try this winter..but...I HATE THE COLD!!! You are so strong and brave to be out there riding in the winter..I admire you so much!!!

William said...

I just have excuses. I'd like to get out a few times, but where I am, there are no shoulders due to the snow banks so it's going to be trick.

BUT, when the wind finally stops blowing down the house, I'll get a few rides in before the snow and be ready when spring comes.

Good motivation Nancy.

Anonymous said...

you will be toasty and cute! I love your blue top <3

TriDaddy said...

I overhauled my mountain bike for when it snows... absolutely NO EXCUSES here! Well, maybe, depending on how that first snow-ride goes.

Comm's said...

I love REI. I have been a member since...well my member number is well below a million.

Get a headlamp for those dark runs.

PuddyRat said...

Oh, geez. I visited teamestrogen.com this weekend to do just what you did. I managed to put $300 in my cart and all I did was get a top, some winter weight pants, and a jacket. I haven't checked out yet....I wonder why?

robert said...

Great and wonderful outdoor gear collection!! I would definitely browse REI for my favorite cycling shoes.