Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Adventures in RV land

Brr!! It's 27 degrees here in Michigan now! And starting to flurry! Which means, of course, that my two girls and I are VERY dependent upon the heating system in our rental RV.

And I'm an RV newbie. There's a lot I don't know about the systems on board this thing, but I'm learning quickly, by trial and error. I could use a hotline to Ellie for technical advice, probably.

Item: I didn't realize the propane furnace pulled so much electrical power!!

The RV really has to be plugged into some sort of power supply in this kind of cold or you have to keep the generator running constantly. (Which I just learned by making a phone call back to the service guy in Maryland.) The generator is fairly noisy, and of course burns gas at a pretty good rate. So instead of doing that for the last two nights in my ignorance I've been waking up every hour or two to start the generator for five minutes, then turning it off and going back to sleep. Which I'm sure has not made me popular with Grandma's neighbors!

But now we've got a heavy-duty electrical cord rigged up to a plug inside of Grandma's garage, and I think that should take care of us. MUCH better!! Live and learn!

Today's other adventure with the girls was taking them to the pizza buffet at Pizza Hut for their first time. Catherine ate two pickle slices with all the gusto that we normally apply to ice cream, plus drank a ton of water. Elisabeth liked the sausage pieces from the pizza, and the garlic bread, but not the actual pizza so much. There's no predicting what they'll like!!!

We also went to the grocery store and they had those carts with a pretend car on the front with two little seats, each with driver's wheels. They were in two-year-old Hog Heaven. Especially when they got to lean out while we were in motion and pull grocery items off the lowest shelf onto the floor in Baby Drive-Bys.

7 comments:

Holly said...

Oh how fun! Sounds like you and your girls are having a wonderful time!

Oldman said...

"baby drive-bys" hehe - love it!

Cliff said...

Cute.

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

lol *baby drive-by". Sounds like a great trip.

*jeanne* said...

Pizza Hut buffet!!! YIKES! My college boyfriend and I worked at the Pizza Hut in south Des Moines after I graduated from Simpson, while we were waiting to go on to our separate summer stock jobs - boy, oh, boy...I'd forgotten about the Pizza Hut buffet!

*jeanne*

Ellie Hamilton said...

Glad you got the tech stuff under control. Steve's the techie here.... I just turn stuff on.

We run a little ceramic electric heater more often than the propane furnace, since the electric hook-up is usually free, but we have to buy propane.

Snow... I'm so jealous...

Ellie Hamilton said...

Glad you got the tech stuff under control. Steve's the techie here.... I just turn stuff on.

We run a little ceramic electric heater more often than the propane furnace, since the electric hook-up is usually free, but we have to buy propane.

Snow... I'm so jealous...