Sunday, June 05, 2005

Two more steps

Another step forward: 12 miles on Buttercup, probably our last road test before the half ironman. Everything was working great! She shifts a little more smoothly since her cleaning, and the gear slippage problem is fixed. The saddle still makes me sore, but mainly because I'm just not yet tough enough ... there. Best part: I was cruising fairly easily at 16 to 17 mph (with no wind on the flat). My average for the ride was 15.0 mph, including 2 slow passes through town. If I can average over 15.0 mph for Eagleman, I'll be very happy, since that will bring my bike time in under 3:44 and I'll (hopefully) be within spitting distance of that sub-8-hour finish. Of course, that assumes that I make it okay through the dreaded swim....

Another step forward: I finally tested the new wetsuit in the cold outdoor pool. It was a long struggle to get it on (they recommend wearing them snug, and believe me, this one qualifies!). The leg buoyancy was amazing - I was riding level on the water, and in a standing-up position my chin rode about 2 inches above the surface of the water. I can basically stand up in the water to catch a breath, if I need to. The collar feels uncomfortably tight and restrictive, however. But I think I can deal with that if I can swim at these speeds - I did my fastest-ever 100m freestyle swim at 2:17. IF I can calm down and get my breathing under control, IF I relax and just keep going, IF I just keep swimming for an hour, I'll get through this half ironman swim. All 1931 meters or 2112 yards of it. *cough*

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Nancy -

Good luck at Eagleman! Your positive mental attitude goes a long way.

Suzanne