Thursday, June 23, 2005

Number Forty-eight

bdayToday is my BIRTHDAY! I'm 48.

Birthdays are important milestones to many of us. They offer us a stopping point for reflection, and prompt us to direct our thoughts to what we want to accomplish in the future. I'm not yet sure what Number Forty-eight signifies. But I'm working on it.

Tri-mama posed some excellent questions for me to think about at this time (post-Eagleman): "In retrospect do you think you bit off more than you could chew?" And "Do you like that you pushed yourself for that long a distance at this point in training?"

The other important question that I need to give some serious thought to is, "Should I attempt an Ironman next year, before I turn fifty?" If I do attempt one, it will probably be Ironman Florida in November 2006, for the reasons I've listed, with perhaps our local non-m-dot Chesapeakeman in October 2006 as a backup if I don't get in.

These are important questions, and merit some reflection. I don't want to succumb to a hasty "Yeah, sure, go for it". I want to think this thing through carefully before I truly commit to it. It's a big big big project to take on. If it weren't, everybody would do it, right? Doing a marathon is hard, and a big challenge. Doing an Ironman is like that same challenge, only cubed. Is it even realistic to consider, given my past training performance? One thing is certain, if I set off down that long road towards the Ironman finish line, I absolutely positively don't want to miss the cutoffs, or end up as a DNF for any other reason. I'll give this all some deep thought and post about it soon.

15 comments:

:) said...

Very serious post and I like your way of thinking. DNF is not an option...

Oh yeah, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! You have deep thoughts for such a happy day.

Choose what is best for you. I'll be here with the smart aleck comments no matter what1

UltraMamaC said...

Happy Birthday, you go-getter, goal-setter, role-model, triathlon-running, who-I-most-want-to-be-like-when-I-grow-up girl!

Tracy said...

HAPPY b-day Nancy!!! Hope today was great for you!

vj said...

Happy B-day!!! Wuhoo!!!

Phil said...

Happy belated birthday!

Heather said...

I hope you had an amazing birthday!!

Born To Endure said...

Hope you had a great birthday...did ya get any cool tri stuff for you b'day??

Brett said...

Wow! Happy Birthday. Sending you positive birthday vibes ...

Brett

*jeanne* said...

You could always do a full Ironman as your 50th Birthday Event...like a penguin-Mom I know who ran her first marathon in Tampa as her reawrd for living to half-a-hundred! No need to BEAT fifty...and I bet there will less competition in the over-50 a.g, too. But if you WANT to do one at 49....GO FOR IT! :-)

Holly said...

ARG! Off by a day but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope it was a great day!

Linda said...

WooHoo Happy Birthday!!!! All the very best to youeven if I is still the senior!

Oldman said...

wow I missed the party...happy belated birthday! i didn't miss cocolate cake did i? what did ya get huh? huh? huh? what did ya get?

Comm's said...

Just wanted to pull up at the end and say Happy Birthday.

The best advice I ever got on birthdays comes from the movie 'Raiders of the Lost Ark': "It's not the age Honey, its the mileage."

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Man, I am sooooooo behind in my reading. Better a day late then never - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Good luck with your decision. Whatever you decide, I know you will do awesome.