Thursday, June 09, 2005

Transition practice

This afternoon I did one run-through of my transitions between the bedroom and dining room. I didn't put on my wetsuit bottoms, and I didn't use my bike (just pantomimed unracking and racking it), but I think I did everything else except maybe drying my feet after the swim with the towel. I started timing in the bedroom, taking off my wetsuit top as I went down the hall to the living room, swapped out my gear, and ran back to the bedroom before I stopped timing.

IT WAS DEFINITELY WORTH DOING. I strongly recommend it. Even though it feels silly.

I know my times for the transitions aren't really anywhere near what they will be in the triathlon (don't I wish! T1 was 2:22, T2 was 1:45), but I learned some important things:
  • The zipper on my one-piece tri-suit is broken! I may never have known that otherwise. I will have to use the separate bike shorts and my Coolmax running shirt for the triathlon. I need to test my running shirt on the bike tomorrow to be sure it doesn't flap annoyingly - if so, I'll use my cycling jersey for the bike leg.
  • It's important to adjust my cycling shoes and visor before the race, not monkey with them in transition.
  • I need to get my bike shorts arranged correctly before the race also - it takes time to turn them right side out. Duh!
  • I may need to add some sunblock and/or bug spray in T2, which will eat up some time.
  • Chugging fluids in transition eats up time, but may be worth it in T2 before the run. Don't bother in T1 - drink on the bike.
  • I'd like to stash the cycling sunglasses in the bento box and put them on once I'm going, but I don't think I'm that steady on the bike. I'll take the 10 seconds to put them on in T1 and avoid a crash. I do need to switch sunglasses in T2, and both pairs needed cleaning.
  • I still love my stretchy tri shoelaces. :)
  • This practice was a great way to check all my triathlon gear, because I found out quickly when I was missing something or it was in the wrong place.

6 comments:

Comm's said...

Nancy I am so proud of you. You are going to finish this thing and be such a star. What a great leap forward this race will be for you.

I only wish I had your endurance on the swim. I am so jealous. You are a triathlete. YOU are a triathlete and you are strong.

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

You are READY! Someone who would practice transitions in a wetsuit in their own home is one dedicated triathlete.

As for your transition times: they don't seem that slow to me given that you put on extra clothing. In a long race like this, comfort should be key.

Put sunscreen on your lower back. It will be exposed if you are riding without a one piece tri suit.

Good luck!

Born To Endure said...

You are ready girl, now just go out and have a great time! My friends from Grand Rapids, MI will be there too!!! Wish you could meet them, they are a great bunch of people. Put a smile on your face and get out there...we'll all be thinking about you!

TriDaddy said...

I don't anyone as ready for a race as you are. Wow! Good luck and bring home that medal!

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Can't wait to read your success story. You are ready and will be awesome!

Tracy said...

Wow, you're SO set. You must be so excited! I'm so excited for you!! WIll be thinking about you this weekend, take care out there and have a blast!!!