Thursday, June 16, 2005

Are you IN!?

NYCMThe results of the lottery for entry into the New York City Marathon were announced yesterday. A record 85,000 entries were received for the lottery, with a total of 35,000 participants accepted for the race. This year's running is on Sunday, November 6, 2005. That means I have just over twenty weeks to prepare! Yes, I'm running New York! I deferred from last year (when I ran the Chicago and Richmond marathons instead), so I knew I was already in. Does anyone have a nice 20-week minimalist marathon training plan to recommend to me?

BaltimoreAn excellent alternative to New York, if you didn't get in, is the Baltimore Marathon. Since I usually train alone, and I those long, long unsupported training runs get really OLD, I'm using Baltimore as my final long slow distance training run before New York. On October 15, 2005, it works out perfectly at three weeks plus one day before the New York City Marathon! It also has a scenic course winding through a city with lots of interesting ethnic neighborhoods, ending up near the Harbor. Highly recommended for your fall season - but enter early, because it will fill! It's also coming up fast - 17 weeks from now! I'd better get myself back into long distance running training mode and back out on the roads!

A10The Annapolis Ten Miler, a popular Maryland event which has already closed to entries, will be one of my prep races. Held on August 28, 2005, its hot and humid conditions combined with some serious hills (up and over the Severn River twice) make it one of the most challenging events on the local running scene. It can take nearly as much out of a runner as a full marathon!

It's also well-known for excellent premiums for the participants, and this year is no exception - a nylon running vest will be given to all entrants, and finishers (which I plan to be!) will be given a 6-inch etched acrylic sailboat trophy.

So will any of my blogging friends be participating in any of these events? I'd love to meet up with any of you there!

I'm still deciding about my triathlon/duathlon schedule for late summer and fall. I'm still not in any hurry to embark on any long swims, but there are lots of fun options out there!

6 comments:

Born To Endure said...

NEW YAWK marathon???...lucky you..i've heard it is a kick ass race!!!

Suzanne said...

Nancy -

Hal Higdon has an 18-week program on his site. I haven't done this one but I'm doing his half-marathon program for Labor Day weekend in VA Beach.

www.halhigdon.com

Suzanne

Brett said...

OK, now you've gotten me thinking about the Baltimore marathon. I was thinking about doing my second Olympic two weeks prior, but a marathon sounds much cooler. Never done one, always wanted to!

Brett

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Have fun training, right after you rest up.

Comm's said...

Most marathon programs are 18 week programs, you know that Nancy, you've run enough of them.

In any case if you want to go it solo go to my blog and in the sidebar is a link to Scottsdale Running Company. In the group run link they list their running program for a 18 week schedule. Its a very good program, I have used it a couple times in their group runs.

vj said...

Wuhoo, congratulations!!!