Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Happy summer solstice!

I'm on my own with the girls for a few days, so my workouts have consisted of daily 3-4 mile walks with the double jogstroller. I have never gotten the hang of running with it - I just can't seem to coordinate it without feeling very uncomfortable. But we have fun! We stop and pet kitties we encounter, look for the bunnies hopping around the yards, watch for airplanes, spot swans and boats out in the river, go to the park and swing and slide, have people stop and ask us two or three times daily per walk "Are they twins?".

So that's the plan for today too! We've had a spell of unseasonably cool weather again. I have a feeling we're going to pay dearly for this later in July and August!

Thanks for the feedback on my "Century vs. Half Ironman" debate. Here's the vote:
* Century: 2
* Half: 5
* Undecided: 2

Right now I'm leaning toward doing one or both centuries. Why?
- I'm contrary
- I like supporting local events
- I like the idea of a long, long supported ride where I can take a short break off the bike every 20-30 miles
- I like to sightsee without the constant hurryhurryhurry of a race setting
- I can pick shorter distance options if I'm not feeling up to the full 100 miles on the day of the ride
- I don't yet feel very motivated to take on the challenge of a half ironman again (the struggle of the Eagleman swim is still too fresh in my mind).

Any of the events before October work fairly well with my marathon schedule, since my first real marathon of the fall is October 15 in Baltimore - and that's just my warmup for New York in November. I'm also thinking of doing a long-long 26.2-mile run workout as part of an iron-distance triathlon relay team at Chesapeakeman Ultra on October 1st, if I can set up a relay at $123 apiece!

I'm also looking at the local triathlon calendars for a few triathlons in the next few months, to keep me motivated in my swimming practice.

Oh, here are a couple of photos of the bike leg at Eagleman, neither of which are keepers.

A big CONGRATULATIONS also go out to Shelley for her strong performance at the Muskoka Triathlon - you're well on your way to Kona, girl!

7 comments:

Heather said...

I agree with the century ride. It is a whole different ballgame from a tri. You can take it hardcore, but you can also relax and enjoy the day. I have loved the century rides that I've done (including the one in rain and 40-degree temps). You can always ride hard, but you can relax and eat at the nice little stops, too.

Nancy Toby said...

Oh yeah! FOOD! How could I forget FOOD!! :)

Born To Endure said...

Thanks Nancy!!!

Meagan said...

I agree with the Century also. Should be a tonne of fun!!

Tracy said...

THe long ride will give you a peak at Ironman, like you'd mentioned, so it will be great!

Brett said...

I like those pictures! You look very content!

Brett

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

I didn't realize we had to vote: ride the century. It will help you build up your body without the pounding of the run. You'll have plenty of that for the marathon training.