Monday, June 27, 2005

Consistency is the goal

CONSISTENCY is my new project. That is, trying to maintain some baseline level of run, bike, and swim workouts per week, with the goal of maintaining some nominal baseline level of fitness in those areas. Uh, when I get back to actually swimming, that is.

I just added 3 columns on my personal Excel spreadsheet which I use for a training log, which now give me running totals for the previous 7 days in the swim, bike and run categories. These should let me know when I'm tending to slack off and not getting in the mileage that I need. Actually that was helpful in reviewing my preparations for Eagleman: I had a 4200-yard swimming week, a 49-mile biking week, and a couple of 28-mile running weeks. Not as bad as I thought!

I'm still deciding what the minimum numbers should be on the board. Of course, following my regular workout schedule that is already written on my calendar for the next 4 months would help, too. I think I need a live training buddy as constant as Robo-Stu, but I probably need a babysitter and a schedule that isn't split between two places, first.

What are some of YOUR methods and tricks that you use to help ensure consistency in your workouts, week-in and week-out?



You may ask what prompted this new emphasis on consistency. I just reviewed my fall race schedule (see sidebar) and realized that I'm planning something incredibly idiotic: three marathons in five weeks. LEGS OF STEEL BABY THAT'S WHAT I WANT

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Fear, my friend. Fear.

*jeanne* said...

Three in FIVE weeks?

:-O

Baltimore, NYC, and ???

Nancy Toby said...

Chesapeakeman relay (marathon leg), Baltimore, and NYC. Fortunately I can take Chesapeakeman slow, Baltimore slower, taper hard, and then be SUPER READY for NYC.

Nancy Toby said...

Don't worry, they are going to be slow and steady ones, no RACING will be involved!!!