Saturday, June 04, 2005

One step back, two steps forward

One step back. I drove over to the pool today for the first in-water test of my new wetsuit. I HAVE TO HAVE TO have a cold-water trial before the Eagleman half ironman in 8 days. I was hoping for at least two practice swims in the outdoor pool in the wetsuit, today and tomorrow. Well, the pool was closed, due to some unspecified "accident" and the ensuing cleanup. Note to self: do not swallow any pool water tomorrow, when the pool had better be open again.

One step forward. My husband picked up some spray solvent/lube at the local bike shop and I gave Buttercup a thorough cleaning and drive train lubrication. A clean bike is a happy bike. I've adjusted the derailleur cable, which I think solved the gear slipping issue we had. I'll take her out for 15-20 miles tomorrow for our final road test.

Another step forward. Six days ago I was worried about my sluggish times for mile repeats on the track. Five days ago I was worried about my low running mileage in May. Two days ago I pushed myself fairly hard for a 7-mile workout to test my endurance, and that went well. Today I did my last speedwork on the track before Eagleman. I was also trying out some gear I was thinking of wearing for the race, and fortunately I found out ahead of time that the shirt I tested was not comfortable (OK, no problem, I'll wear my old marathon training shirt from last summer for the run) and the wraparound cycling sunglasses are too hot (OK, in T2 I'll switch to the smaller shades for running).

First mile: 10:36 (which is fairly speedy for me from a cold start). WHEW! I guess I haven't lost all my aerobic conditioning, such as it is, even though my running mileage is down, since I've been cycling and swimming as well. I promised myself if I beat that for my second mile I could quit for the day.

Second mile: Splits were looking good: 2:26, okay, keep it up.... 2:30, okay, you've got to hold steady and stay strong, stop looking at your watch.... then I just RAN for the last two laps and worked on keeping the tempo up and the arms pumping hard.... YESSSSS!!!! 9:58!! Yay! I haven't run a mile that fast, I think, since a 5K last December. Knowing that more work today wouldn't do anything to improve my fitness in only a week, I quit for the day and went home happier and a little more confident about the Big Race Day.

2 comments:

Downhillnut said...

I learn so much from your preparations for races. I wouldn't think of all those things to test myself and my gear for.

Isn't it cool to put that bike maintenance course to good use?

Have a fantastic, kick-butt race!

Tracy said...

You're going to rock this half!