Saturday, June 18, 2005

Walking, swinging, sliding, and marathon prep

Just back from a 4-mile jogstroller walk with the girls, first to the ATM to deposit a check, then to the little park by the cove with the swans nesting alongside. Both my girls got to swing to their little heart's content, and go down the slide MANY times. Catherine is getting good at climbing up the big ladder to the slide now (Danger Girl has often gotten herself halfway up before I notice). While Elisabeth can't manage climbing the ladder yet, she's a little better at pushing herself off the top edge of the slide to go down unassisted. It's always fun to watch them SWOOP down the slide and end up at the bottom, giggling madly.

After the park I pushed them around the 3-mile walk through the neighborhood, the same one that I did yesterday. It is gorgeous weather today - 75*F and low humidity - why didn't we have this weather LAST week?

I worked up a training schedule from now until the New York City Marathon and wrote it all down on my Runner's World calendar. It's a smattering of Hal Higdon, a touch of Jeff Galloway, and some normal logical progression, with at least two shorter faster runs and one long slow distance run per week working up gradually (including some step-back weeks) from a 10-miler this weekend to a 20-miler the first weekend of October, then the Baltimore Marathon on October 15, and finally the New York City Marathon on November 6. I'll wait a while before I decide on any time goals for the marathons, but I'd sure like to run at least one of them substantially better than my marathon PR of 5:51:38. We'll see how my shorter races go heading into the fall season. Heck, averaging 12-minute miles would yield a 5:15 marathon - that doesn't sound so hard "on paper", why is it so hard to get there in reality!?

I plan to include at least one longer bike ride and a long swim each week too (hour-plus each), for cardiovascular cross-training and just to keep up some "currency" in those areas as well. How much I do in those two areas will probably also depend on if I decide to enter any triathlons in the summer or fall. I'll go back and tally up how much training I *actually* did before Eagleman to decide how much I can realistically include in my plan for future tri training. I have a tendency to devise training plans that are MUCH more ambitious than the training that I actually DO, so my swim-bike-run totals for the last 6 months will be a good reality cross-check.

4 comments:

*jeanne* said...

I find the reason that they (marathon time goals, that is) sound fairly easy on PAPER...then get HARD to DO on course...is because on PAPER I don't get so durn TIRED STIFF and SORE!!!! LOL!

Downhillnut said...

Hindsight helps with foresight. Good to look back on your ACTUAL training in planning ahead. When you think about what kept you from training more or differently, you can anticipate those hurdles again and see if there's a better way past them. Way to use your noggin!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Sounds like a good training program to me. If you keep an hour bike and hour swim in your training, you could easily do a short-mid distance tri over the summer. When I was training for my last marathon, my coach used bike workouts to supplement my running. This helped me get extra endurance without pounding my knees on the road.

Good luck!

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Way to prepare. Have fun with the training.