Tuesday, June 14, 2005

What I am and am not

Tonight is Eagleman Plus Two. My only exercise since Eagleman has been pushing the jogstroller for a couple miles today, in the hopes of getting some of the stiffness out of my legs.

What I am not:
  • I'm not an Iron-anything. I feel strongly that I cannot righteously use the title IronSomething unless I have completed all 140.6 miles of an Iron Distance triathlon, which I have not. Same as I wouldn't call myself a marathoner until I had finished one (or more). Same as I don't publicly wear the tshirts from races I didn't complete.
  • I'm not a hero or heroine. People who run into burning buildings to save people are heroes and heroines. I'm a slow fat novice triathlete. Like most triathletes, I do this only for myself.
  • I'm not ready to say I'm going to ever do another half-iron distance triathlon, or to say that I'm ever going to attempt an iron distance triathlon. I don't want to attempt either one unless I'm in much better shape for it than I was for Eagleman.
  • I'm not eager to try to improve on my last-place finishing time at Eagleman. Doing it slowly was tough enough. The discomfort is still very fresh in my mind.
  • I'm not making any decisions this week.
What I am:
  • I'm the finisher of one half-iron distance triathlon of 70.3 miles, above the time cutoffs.
  • I'm tired. Still, even after sleeping 12 hours the night after Eagleman.
  • I'm sore. Not terribly sore, but sore in weird places - my wrist where the competitor wristband rubbed. My abs. My side where I got a stitch. My hamstrings.
  • I'm a crappy swimmer.
  • I'm stubborn as hell.
  • I'm proud of myself for completing my longest swim to date, in open water to boot.
  • I'm proud of myself for completing my longest bike ride to date, immediately after a 1.2-mile swim to boot.
  • I'm proud of myself for sticking it out and finishing Eagleman.
  • I'm glad I finished uninjured.
  • I'm glad I finished at all.
  • I'm still undertrained and overweight.
  • I'm delighted to have the Eagleman medal (which I'll scan and post in another day or two).
  • I'm the owner of some wonderful memories. That was definitely a day that I'll remember for a long, long time!
  • I'm super-grateful for all the support, advice, encouragement, and congratulations that I've received.
  • I'm still savoring the experience before I start going off half-cocked and setting new goals for myself.
  • I'm thrilled if I've inspired anyone to push themselves beyond what they thought was possible to accomplish things they didn't originally think that they could.
  • I think I'm overdue for a cold beer.

15 comments:

The Big Cheese said...

Count me in as someone you inspired. I told a friend of mine about you the other day. You inspired her to join me in my efforts to complete a sprint distance.

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

1) Drink the beer. Might I recommend a super chilly almost frozen Amberbock.

2) Stubborness is a virtue.

3) It takes some "brass chones", as my brother in law would say, to start a half ironman swim in a current knowing it's your longest swim ever. See #2

4) The pain is temporary. See signs during the Disney Marathon.

Vertical Man said...

I am so impressed that, 2 days after, you have crystalized these lessons and have a plan developing for next time. Oh yeah, there will be a next time. My half is still 2 months away and you are my inspiration. I'll join you in that beer even though I haven't earned it yet.

tri-mama said...

Hey Tri Ma 2 this Bud's for you!

vj said...

I wish I could be buying you that beer, Nancy!

Tracy said...

Sounds like you've done some soul searching.

We're only ever as good as we'll allow ourselves to be, and you've proven that you can go the distance, which is all we need to know sometimes in order to allow ourselves to go higher. And sometimes setting those scary goals is what gives us the courage to accomplish them, at least that's how it works for me.

You definitely have my respect, you've earned it just as much as you earned that half-iron medal.

Nancy Toby said...

Just to be clear on my priorities here, I did consume 2 Wild Goose Amber Ales last night. Yummy!

Mark said...

I just read your story and this post Nancy. Wow! Tremendous! That was well worth the read. You did fantastically. Nothing but happiness and pride for you over here. :)

Linda said...

Nacy you made me want to cry, you ARE inspiring!!! Great post!

Nancy Toby said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Born To Endure said...

You are a 1/2 IM finisher!! That is more than most people can say!! Big congrats..if you want to take some time off..take it off, if you want to drink some beer, go for it!! You're allowed.. :-D

Nancy Toby said...

"Sportsman1", I know your identity, and I know that you are simply envious of something you yourself cannot do. Are you confused about the meaning of the word "above"? Try "Beyond a specified time"? I have said absolutely nothing inaccurate. Why don't you post your race times for comparison?

Comm's said...

Well I counted them up and your 'I am not's' equal 5 and your 'I am's' equal 17. Sounds like your heads in the right spot to me.

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

I was gonna say have 2 beer, but I see you already said ya did.

TriDaddy said...

Wow... it's been a long time since I had a Wild Goose Amber... loved that beer!

By the way, I really like this post. Though I've never done a half, I think we share the same perspective.