Thursday, June 02, 2005

Continuous, unsupported running

runner girlI had some concern over my low running mileage lately, so I set out on a little running challenge for myself this evening. Now keep in mind that I usually take some walk breaks in most of my training runs, and I almost always bring water along or get some at the water fountains along the trail. These days to maximize my speed when I race I try not to take walk breaks or water breaks at 5K distances, and try to limit myself to walking through one water station at 10K distances, but I often do more if it's exceptionally hot and humid or hilly.

Today I set out to do a longer workout with no walking, and no water. This is not something I advise for others, it's just something I wanted to try as a test for myself, and also give myself some long slow distance mileage in preparation for the half ironman ahead. I know that final half marathon ten days from now after a long swim and bike is likely to be hot and difficult, and I want to be ready to push myself despite that tired "I wanna walk" feeling.

I originally set out to do five miles. As I was going along I thought it would be better to frame my challenge in positive terms, rather than negatives, so I came up with the phrase continuous, unsupported running. Hmm, maybe the un- word is still a negative, but that's the best my mind works when I'm running.

I was going along the hilly path on the way out, keeping it slow and steady, and feeling pretty good. I came to the marker at 2.5 miles along the trail, and decided to keep going. 3.0 miles, well, let's keep going for another half. I turned around at 3.5 miles and continued back in my slow continuous fashion. Just over half a half-marathon = just right.

Fortunately it was cool out - about 65*F. I never felt terribly thirsty, though I did wish for a bit of variety. It seemed more monotonous than usual without walk breaks. The baby bunnies were out in force for grazing time, and it amused me to watch them. I kept jogging along slowly, taking my time, and eventually made it back to the starting point. I did have to take one 34-second halt at a street crossing to wait for the light to change, so I only did 6 actual miles without any stops, but that's the longest distance I can remember doing without any breaks at all. I finished up a little over 7 miles in a slow, steady, relaxed 1:33, but that pace would still give me a 2:54 half marathon when I'm tired but I have support on a flat course. (My body weight was down about 3% from dehydration when I finished - again, not a recommended practice!) That pace should be realistic for Eagleman and within my 8-hour finishing window. Bring it on!

4 comments:

Mr. Apropos said...

Nice run! You're going to be just fine during Eagleman.

TriDaddy said...

Awesome! I assume your running on some of the same trails I used to when I lived in NoVa. I miss them!

:) said...

Good job on the seven miles...but be CAREFUL...

I don't want you bonking out on that trail and the babies bunnies grazing on YOU!!!

Nancy Toby said...

Thanks for the great (i.e., honest) feedback, everyone! I wouldn't have tried this "stunt" any closer to the event - I think 10 days out is sufficient for me to recover. Hopefully. :) And I wouldn't have gone on as long without water if it were any hotter outside or if I started getting cramps or dizzy. No workout is worth getting serious heat stroke over!! Therefore my big disclaimers about not recommending this to anyone else - you can't train against dehydration!